Adding a second pet

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
SilentTuba

Adding a second pet

Post by SilentTuba »

I apologize if this post (my first) has been dealt with before, but I didn't see anything that fully adddressed my issues, so here goes...

Back in May, my girlfriend and I adopted a sweet 6 month old kitty, whom we named Roxy. She had a cold at the time, and, to make a long story short, it attacked her eyes so severely she ended up losing them both. Fast forward six months, and she is a happy, healthy, cuddly, and very playful 1 year old. She is blind, but it does not hold her back; every day, she does something new to amaze us.

We have decided to get a second cat as a companion for her. We're pretty sure sue gets lonely whole we're at work, because she stands by the door and meows at us when she hears us coming home, and then demands to be picked up and petted. We think having a playmate will be good for her. So, we found a kitty we like, a 6 month old female named Samantha, and will be bringing her home either this week or next. Both cats have been spayed, and are playful and affectionate. Samantha is sighted.

Now, Roxy used to be a floor cat at the shelter, and Samatha is around other cats at her foster home all the time, so we
hope the introduction goes smoothly. I've also been reading up on introducing them, and this is where I get concerned. Most rooms in our apartment do not have doors, except the bedroom (no cats allowed) and the bathroom, which makes setting up a safe room difficult. I could probably hang netting and a sheet in the doorway of our guest room, do you think that would work??? Roxy can be pretty adventurous, I'm not convinced it will keep her out.

The only other real option is the bathroom, and I don't really think that's safe...any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!!!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Adding a second pet

Post by critters »

:whale: Congrats on your girls!! My monsters are used to furs coming and going, so I'm not the best one to ask. I'll ask others for info for you, though.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I never throw any new pets in with existing ones. Used to be a cat person and those cats didn't meet face to face until the hissing stopped. Closed doors for everyone until the scent is 'familiar' and the hissing stops. Always takes time, with one of my cats, took 2 weeks. But it stopped and we never had issues. Curiosity will overwhelm the desire to take a slice out of life.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

It sounds like they would be compatible. I have had good luck I guess and been able to place a new one in with my lot on a regular basis. Then again, my vet tells me I have freakishly affectionate cats. I think space is the key so that a put-upon cat can hide.