Update on Jaz, newly blind, deaf

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
barbk

Update on Jaz, newly blind, deaf

Post by barbk »

Hello, I am sorry I have not posted, you guys have been so helpful that I feel bad. Jaz, my 9 year old keeshond, has gone completly blind. He had a hard time adjusting, probably because it happened so fast. The first couple of weeks were hard for all of us. But, know, a few months later, he is doing great! I am surprised at how much he can feel with his feet. I guess I never know how sensitive those pads were. He never really used his nose much, not near as much as my other two dogs, but now, WOW! I think his since of smell has increased, or his need/desire to use it. Between that and his sensitive feet he is doing so well. He does have some hearinb left, we thought he was completely deaf. What little he has I think confuses him, because he can not tell where the sound is coming from. But, he has learned what EASY means when yelled and slows down and takes it easy.

We are doing great, he is happy and healthy and living a full life. I think the move to Maryland will go OK, a little adjustment time but I think we will do fine.

Thank you all for the hope when I needed it and all the advice and support. I hope to be able to return the favor.
puremutt

Re: Update on Jaz, newly blind, deaf

Post by puremutt »

awwwwwww how nice to have an update.
I can not even imagine what you have been tru.
Glad that Jaz adjusted so well, we always learn here that dogs adjust so well to the conditions they get in.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
Christine

Post by Christine »

I wish we were as resilient as our pets. So glad to hear how well he is doing...you need to take a bow!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Your attitude is EVERYTHING! My Gabriel knows that tickles on the head mean HIGH play time. I have been posting tips at Facebook, under the MagicalWorldofLethalWhites group. Almost daily/weekly tips for the deafblind. The stickies here are impossibly helpful, especially Cousin Christy's Primer.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/