Any advise??

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
Ottis&Me

Any advise??

Post by Ottis&Me »

I just adopted an absolutely adorable Toy Poodle. He's approximately 10 years with severe cataracts. VERY BLIND!! He also has a history of abuse. He weighs less than 5 lbs. I was told by the lady I adopted him from, that he is puppy pad trained. I have him in a diaper right now. He is very scared to venture much further than his little bed. I've had him for 5 days now. In the last 24 hours, he seems to have gotten a little more secure in his surroundings. I have a couple of questions. How do I help him learn his new surroundings? What can I do to let him know he is safe with us? I do have 2 kitties, they are about 2 years. They just sort of watch him. I think their instincts tell them he is fragile. They don't mess with him at all. I'm sure he knows they are there though. I want him to be independent in his world. I read online to use different scents for different rooms. I tap on the side of his food bowl with a spoon, then let him smell the food. Last night I insisted he find his way to the food bowl on his own, without me picking him up and carrying him. It took about an hour, but he did it. After he ate, he seemed to be pretty proud of himself. For the first time since I brought him home, he found his way to me, sat beside me with his little head up, not lowered and shaking. I praised him endlessly. Was I cruel to insist he find his own way to the feeding area? When is it to much coddling, and when should I go ahead and pick him up and carry him to something. Any advice on any of these questions, or any other information on caring for an elderly blind dog will be GREATLY appreciated. I NEVER thought I would be the care giver to a challenged animal, but like Otis, I was visually impaired, legally blind, until nearly the age of 40. I also have abuse in my history and I JUST could not walk away from this little guy when I met him. Thanks in advance for any info.

Sue
critters
Founding Member

Re: Any advise??

Post by critters »

:whale: Karen will probably be along in awhile. As long as he wasn't starving, I think you did FINE by making him find his bowl. It smells, so it's not like he had no info at all to go on. By loving him and encouraging him gently (like you did) toward more independence, I think he'll come around. It sounds like he's already come a LONG way!!!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Most dogs map within 24/48 hours. your guy has been so severely traumatized his lessons will take a long time coming. Rather than reinvent the wheel, I refer you to the sticky blinddogs in this forum. Also KarenG's excellent compilation of tips at www.blinddogs.net.

You are the comfort. YOU say everything is alright. The tip about getting on your hands and knees with puppers will provide MORE delight I can't even tell you.

A blinddog in the wild is a dead dog in the wild, and this is most likelly the cause of apprehension and fear. YOU are a huge unknown, new house, new family. Confine pup to small room which is comfort room (like a crate with 4 walls) and you and pup just lay on floor as he exames and explores you and comes to know you.

EVERYTHING is frightening for him right now. Deal with traumatization first and then blindness. Visit the stickies, let us know how the tips are working and let us know! I for one am very interested. Get past his fear and watch him explode with confidence and he will dazzle you, I promise. I STILL hang on for dear life going down outdoor steps in the dark terrified I'll slip and fall ALL my deafblinds and blind SAIL up and down those same stairs. Baby gate all your stairs, btw.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
monkeybyte

Post by monkeybyte »

with my 22 year old little baby had cateract so bad but the vet would not do anything cause of her age. I researched online and found " dead doctors dont lie", he used cayenne pepper. So I went in the kitchen and put some in my eyes to see how bad it was, it aint as bad as it sounds trust me! Rocko would holdher head up by herself for me to dose her, it took three treatments only, shes back to her old litle diva again.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Yikes, cayenne?? I am a huge fan of Dr. Joel, dead doctors don't lie. He got his start as a veterinarian and couldn't understand why people medicine wasn't preventative as farm animals are. So he went into people medicine. But cayenne? Yikes. It helped? That is one for us to remember.

Lutein is good for macular health, don't know if that would help puppers, but blindness isn't the end of the world for a pup.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Christine

Post by Christine »

I am in love with your little guy, just reading this! My Bailey was abused before she came to me and blindness happened after a few years. This little guy is so fortunate that you chose him. Your instincts are very good and the information you have been given will help so much. What is his name? We'd love to see a picture. Can't wait to hear about he blossoms under your care and love!

And, by the way.... :welcomeheart:

Oh my goodness - this is my 1700th post!! When I came here for help, I had never participated in any discussion group. I never dreamed doing so would extend my girl's life a good two years and that I would find an extended family to help me grieve her loss.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08