Blind/occationally deaf dog isn't doing well

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
4ourdogblu

Blind/occationally deaf dog isn't doing well

Post by 4ourdogblu »

Our dog, an 11 year old Blue Healer, has been blind now for about 1 year. She had lens luxation in one eye that caused the removal of the eye. The lens in the remaining eye also luxated, so the lens was removed about 1 year ago. Glacoma has now set in and what little vision she had left is now basically gone. Eventually this eye will be removed as well. The problem is that she has had lots of time to adjust to life as a blind dog. She has done well up until the past few months when we noticed that her hearing comes and goes. What puzzles me is that she does NOT use her nose! I have tried to encourage her to use this sense due to the fact that she is missing two main senses! I understand that her breed doesn't have a highly sensitive nose, but, she should be able to adapt, right? Any ideas on helping her make this adjustment? She used to go running with me, and the other 2 dogs, but it is becoming increasingly difficult because she becomes lost and disoriented. Thanks to everyone for any help you can provide.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Blind/occationally deaf dog isn't doing well

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Her big issue is the blindness, I think. A blind dog in the wild is a dead dog in the wild. She is lost, confused and scared. You have to give her a comfort zone. If you visit the blind wiki in this forum, there are suggestions about how to do this. The best tip is to get down on all fours with her as you map together. Does she like the other dogs? Can you put on a coupler? First of all, don't use a neck collar, get a Gentle Leader CHEST harness with the D ring at chest level. Keeps her close to you and under control They are facing the great unknown and the chest harness gives them a huge comfort level. I am always dazzled when my deafblind jumps off a 3 mattrass high bed, KNOWING there is a floor below him. My blind only RACES up and down stairs, my deafblind can as well, but not as fast. It is all about their mapping and comfort. Please read about the mapping techniques, I think that will be her biggest help and comfort. It is so hard to watch, I know, and your confidence and SILLY HAPPY attitude will relay to her everything is alright and she is FINE.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/