Should I adopt a blind bullmastiff/golden mix?

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
petmax

Should I adopt a blind bullmastiff/golden mix?

Post by petmax »

My kids work at the local animal hospital where I bring all 4 of my cats/dogs (2 of each). Someone dropped off a puppy they found abandoned on the expressway. Turned out to be blind. They kept it at the hospital and took care of it because they thought someone might adopt him. Well almost or at least 1 yr later he's still there hanging out in the runs or his cage, occasionally with the staff but because no one has the time to train him he can't just hang around the office all day so he's in the cage alot. He's a gorgeous mix of mastiff and golden, not as big as a mastiff more of a golden body. He's a sweetheart and it's breaking my heart that no one has adopted him yet. I have a toy poodle and a doxie/yorkie mix both 12 lbs that I worry if I was to adopt him, would get hurt by him because he's big and all over the place. He obviously needs some serious training. I'm just conflicted by such a commitment. I thought maybe someone could give me some advice. Thanks.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Should I adopt a blind bullmastiff/golden mix?

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

There are many blindpup tips at the top of this forum. First of all, you can bell and scent your small ones and bell train puppers. Blindpups are capable of ANYTHING a sighted dog is except catching frisbee on the fly.

You can also visit the tips page at www.blinddogs.net a compilation of many blinddog families.

Blinddogs truly see with their hearts and move us in ways we never imagined.

I have deaf and blinds and they are the BEST. You just have to work hard in beginning to make sure your family is well-adjusted, as with even SIGHTED bullmastiffs! :) :)
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/