Considering adopting blind dog...

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
cancerheather

Considering adopting blind dog...

Post by cancerheather »

I am SERIOUSLY considering adopting a 5 year old miniature pinscher who lost his sight to glaucoma. He is already familiar with various commands and training that will make it easy to integrate him into my home. I could absolutely keep him close to me and travel with him everywhere! I have no small children and don't plan on having any. I currently have an older shepherd mix who loves to sleep and eat, a year old aussie/shepherd mix with lots of energy, and 2 indoor only cats who could care less. Would I be a good parent? He is perfect; quiet, kind, polite, loving & absolutely deserving of my love. I want to do it but I am afraid of not being good enough for him! Any suggestions?
CarolC

Re: Considering adopting blind dog...

Post by CarolC »

You sound wonderful. It might be a good idea to try him with the other dogs, like a little play date to be sure to get along, but if they do then I hope you get him. I think he'd be a lucky dog. :D
jounderw

Re: Considering adopting blind dog...

Post by jounderw »

OMG. I have a 10 year PRECIOUS min pin that is the love of my life and have had her since she was a baby. About 3 years ago she developed some kind of eye disease and ended up going blind in both eyes over the next year. She has now been living with full blindness for two years and just got the hang of it and finally seems comfortable and at ease with this new handicap she has developed. Needless to say, she is just fine and just like our other dog - we just have to keep an eye on her out by the pool. Other than that I would say go for it. Its not a burden on us at all and she is as happy as the day we brought her home from the breeders.