Adopted cat and diarrhoea

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
Rima

Adopted cat and diarrhoea

Post by Rima »

Good afternoon,

I took a blind cat from the shelter two days ago and it seems that she has diarrhea.
However, she produced a firm "poo" when we were not at home.
I have read that it may be due to the stress she is obviously exposed to now. She spent the whole year in the shelter before I took her.
There are no traces of blood or bad colour, and this happed three times only during these two days.
She eats normally and seems to be pretty healthy, but I am still a bit worried about that.
I really do not want to take her to the vet if it is not necessary, since she had to go through so many changes recently.

Maybe You can share some experience on this question, please.

I would really appreciate any advice or remarks.

Thank you indeed.
CarolC

Re: Adopted cat and diarrhoea

Post by CarolC »

Wow, a year in the shelter is a long time. I assume she was tested for everything? Maybe you could call them and ask them what they were feeding her, and get some of that kind of food for now, then transition her to the kind you normally use gradually? Would it lower her stress to keep her in a room for now with her own box, and let her get used to the sounds of the house? Would love to see a picture of your new kitty! :D

:gang:
critters
Founding Member

Re: Adopted cat and diarrhoea

Post by critters »

I'd bet that stress is figuring in, too. Could she have a place to retreat to, etc?