NEED HELP!! housetraining blind & deaf dauchshand

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
shayla_blades

NEED HELP!! housetraining blind & deaf dauchshand

Post by shayla_blades »

I have a 2 year old blind & deaf dauchshund. I have tried everything that I know of to try to house train and/or crate train him, NOTHING WORKS! I dont know what else to do, and if I dont find a solution soon I'm going to have to find him a new home and that would break my 4 year old sons heart. I've even tried the belly bands and doggie diapers...he either chews them or rubs his skin raw by scooting on the carpet trying to get it off. PLEASE HELP. I'm open to anything.
kristenv

Re: NEED HELP!! housetraining blind & deaf dauchshand

Post by kristenv »

Hi Shayla,
Did he recently become blind or has he been blind since birth?
Do you have any other dogs in the home? I am thinking of "marking" your yard with another dogs urine..scent is a powerful motivator for any dog but even more so when a dogs does not have sight/hearing.
Having another dog urinate in your yard (or potty area in the house) might help to act as a trigger for your dog to mark over the scent.
Also, have you been working with a behaviorist? I have also found that to be helpful with our guys as some of the behavioral interventions we use on our sighted dogs have to be adjusted or different techniques entirely are used with our blind guy.

Just a thought..I hope it goes well..
Kristen
Kristen, Samy, and Dottie
Jenner, Alex, BB
4 epsiodes of IVDD for Samy: Surgery x2 , crate rest x2 still going strong
Dottie no IVDD
Rory no IVDD (at the bridge)
shayla_blades

Post by shayla_blades »

He has been blind since he was born and i will try the other dog situation. Thank you.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Shayla,

Is this little guy new to your home? You might want to read the sticky at the top of our Blind Deaf category - it is loaded with information. www.blinddog.net is another great resource for you.

http://pawstoadopt.com/blindanddeafdogs ... ining.html This website discusses house training a blind and deaf dog

If he is not new to your home, has he just started having a problem in the house?

Here is a video featuring a woman with her blind deaf doxie and the book she wrote http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_-1XHgaOOo

Hang in there....your little one have a wonderful life once everyone gets on track with a new way to communicate. I will wait for your answers and also pass along your questions to a blind dog expert.

:welcomeblue: We'd love to see a picture!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
shayla_blades

Post by shayla_blades »

I have only had Scooby for a couple months and he wasnt house trained when I adopted him. He was rescued from a puppy mill and as a result of their breeding he was born blind and deaf.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Okaye....now we have the whole picture. Bless you for taking him. :angel: He is a clean slate starved for not only love, but for direction. He doesn't know what you want him to do and does not know how to communicate that. Two of us wrote to Karen Anderson simultaneously :D ...and here is her answer:

Karen Tredje Anderson She is on Facebook too.

January 31 at 4:09am

I'd be happy to. Have her read the stickies. It's the same as a sighted hearing dog. The stickies address house training. Also give her this website.
Gabriel has a place where he is wont to go, and I have put down plastic shower curtains from the dollar store.
You pick the water up after 9 pm and walk pup 3 or more times. I have a fenced yard, so allI do is open the door.
Also the pee pads can be a godsend.
Many thanks. Christine will no doubt forward as well.

Karen Anderson Andy's ^j^ Mom
http://www.andrewkeithanderson.tvheaven.com/
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... id=9777122
Lethal White Aussie Rescue - Carolinas & Beyond ...
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Leth ... sieRescue/
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/

She also told us to give you her email address so you can contact her directly. (I will send that to you at your email address). The calvary has arrived...you just need to gather the ammunition she gives you. Add love and patience and you will soon enjoy your little guy and he will have the life he deserves. We are here for you too...so please stick around and keep us posted on your progress, ask questions and let others share their experiences. :grouph:
?/1999 - 10/25/08
flogget60

Post by flogget60 »

Hi, I have a deaf and 90% blind dog. I rescued him from a puppy farm. I have had him now for 3 and a half years as he is now 4 years old.
When I had him I didnt know anything and now I work with others and try to help people from all over with their dogs. Just remember dogs are hard work at the best of times and there are a lot of fully sighted and hearing dogs that have problems getting house trained so dont worry. I have found with my dog he HAS to have a fully sighted and hearing dog to live with. It is my other dog that taught him where to go for the toilet, it was he who taught him where things are and it is he that tells him that things are ok and not to worry. And now they would not be apart. They need help that only another dog could give. So if you could I would get another dog (let him choose as much as possible) because even if you get this problem sorted there could be something esle.
Christine

Post by Christine »

:welcomeblue: Glad you are here! Please share your other tips...this is how we all learn. Love the story about your dogs helping each other...that is just precious and so true!!
?/1999 - 10/25/08