Weeping Eyes

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
hcharen

Weeping Eyes

Post by hcharen »

Hi! I recently adopted the sweetest cat in the entire world. He is blind and his left eye gets very gooey. Both eyes develop gunk, but the left one is worse. He is awaiting surgery to have his eyes stitched, so I am hoping that the surgery will take care of his problem. In the mean time, I am worried that the left eye is starting to bother him. Today, as usual, I wiped his eyes, and he jumped a little when I wiped the left eye. I am very gentle when i do this, also the residue coming out of his eyes is a copper color. It almost looks like blood, but i do not believe it is. Any suggestions for eye solutions or anything that might make my guy more comfortable? Thanks!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Weeping Eyes

Post by critters »

:slant: Cat tears oxidize to a dark color, and they can look like blood in the middle time period before they turn black. My monsters don't like me to get their goobies either.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

can you clarify the surgery he is having? his eye stitched?
we have several cats here with eye problems. some due to herpes virus and one who needed an eye removed and the lid stitched shut.

haven't met a cat yet who likes having their eyes cleaned! they jump, wriggle, complain etc.

you can use plain artificial tears to help keep the eyes clean and non irritated, they won't like that either but the eyes will be less irritated.

can you post picts of the eyes?

thanks!

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
hcharen

Post by hcharen »

Thanks for the lovely responses! I'll post pictures shortly. I am not sure what kind of surgery he is having. I adopted him through a cat sanctuary and they are taking care of it.
viktor

Post by viktor »

We will wait for some pictures.