deaf dog just blind

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
skinmum

deaf dog just blind

Post by skinmum »

Hi,
Our dog is 10 had already gone deaf when he lost the sight in his remaining eye - I had been using hand signals and other visual clues for everything. Now they are useless. Any tips for profoundly deaf and blind dogs. My dog can hear me a bit
if I lift his ear flap (cocker ears) and speak very loudly right into his ear) - he isn't coping and he isn't happy and he doesn't want to go for walks - he is 20 kilos I struggle to move him. The only thing he is interested in is eating. He is overweight and I am filling him up with milk and veggy water and a little bit of meat and more veggies - if I can get some weight off him it would help us both but my main problem is I want to see his tail wag. if he is only happy once or twice a day what is the point. If I could get him in the car and drive to the park he would like that but I can't lift a determined stubborn dog into my car. Any help would be fantastic. My vet gave me Clonicalm - he seems more relaxed and sleeps a lot but still not happy - oh and he poops just outside the door instead of down the yard.
CarolC

Re: deaf dog just blind

Post by CarolC »

skinmum wrote:Hi,
Our dog is 10 had already gone deaf when he lost the sight in his remaining eye - I had been using hand signals and other visual clues for everything. Now they are useless. Any tips for profoundly deaf and blind dogs.
Dogs that are born deaf blind are touch trained, you give them commands by touching them in certain ways. You can see how they do it on the Amazing Aussies website.

http://www.amazingaussies.com/education/education.html

My dog can hear me a bit
if I lift his ear flap (cocker ears) and speak very loudly right into his ear) - he isn't coping and he isn't happy and he doesn't want to go for walks - he is 20 kilos I struggle to move him. The only thing he is interested in is eating. He is overweight and I am filling him up with milk and veggy water and a little bit of meat and more veggies - if I can get some weight off him it would help us both but my main problem is I want to see his tail wag. if he is only happy once or twice a day what is the point. If I could get him in the car and drive to the park he would like that but I can't lift a determined stubborn dog into my car. Any help would be fantastic.

What size of dog is this? I can understand his reluctance, he probably doesn't want to jump up on the seat when he can't see it. If you can get his front feet on the seat you can probably boost his rear. I think the trick might be to put a chest harness on him so you have something to grab to lift his front feet into the car. The other options are a ramp or modifying the car to be easier to get into. You can find a lot of dog ramps online. Here is an article about modifying the car.
https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Automobile_conversion_for_a_disabled_dog

My vet gave me Clonicalm - he seems more relaxed and sleeps a lot but still not happy - oh and he poops just outside the door instead of down the yard.

Would you have the time to snap a leash on him and walk him out to the back of the yard? Honestly, since I've had senior dogs that just began dumping in the house, outside the back door doesn't sound bad! At least it's outside. If it was me, I'd probably just get a nice lightweight aluminum dog scooper to keep by the back door and sweep up and carry it to the back of the yard and be glad I'm not cleaning the carpet, but that's just me. :wink:
viktor

Post by viktor »

Have you had the consultation with the doctor? I think it is worth to address the veterinarian.
skinmum

Post by skinmum »

Thanks for replies he is getting heavier and heavier - I want to get his thyroid tested too, because the weight gain started about 4 years ago - he has dandruff and is always sleepy. Apart from that he LOVES walks now - especially if we walk down the road because he knows it is clear space in front of him and he trots along - we head to the footpath every now and then but that is so slooow while he checks every smell. He has trained me. 2 taps with his paw means I want something (and now) e.g. Give me that food you are eating, Open the fridge, open the back door, lift me up on the bed. He just taps twice whatever he wants to do. 2 taps on the fridge door (meat or cheese)) 2 taps on the bathroom door (drink) 2 taps on the side door (open it) and so on. I have a tiny weeny 5 month old pup - he tolerates except when she jumps on him while he is asleep - he seems to enjoy having company. He knows whether I am in a room or not by smelling the air? so he follows me around. One of the very few things he can hear is her high pitched bark - so she lets him know when our car has pulled up, or someone is at the door. - not quite a seeing eye dog but not bad- we battle on and his tail does wag sometimes - enough to know he has some quality of life but compared to my other dog that went blind and deaf he is quite careful and timid about moving around (I have seen worse though)
thanks again
viktor

Post by viktor »

Let us know about the results, please. I support you, dear friend. :cry:
skinmum

Post by skinmum »

Thanks Viktor. I hate it when he bumps into things. Mentally though he is pretty sharp. I've noticed he can hear the pup bark (shrill) she barks when she hears me come home or spies a stranger go past and he joins in. If she doesn't bark he sleeps through me opening the door etc. I think I should buy a whistle and teach him a few things that way. No thyroid check yet ($$) will get it done soon.
viktor

Post by viktor »

Not at all, dear. We understand your grief and feelings.