Integrating 2 blind cats...need advice!

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
gingercooper

Integrating 2 blind cats...need advice!

Post by gingercooper »

Hi Everyone,
I just got a new blind kitten (Lula) who is 8 weeks old now. I also have 3 other cats (ages 14, 9 and 2) - the 9 year old is also blind (since birth) and her name is Stevie.
I know how to integrate a seeing and a blind cat (as I did it with Stevie and my 2 yr old Jasmine). The 3 all get along wonderfully and I hope that Lula will eventually be loved by them all as well.

My question is....how do you introduce 2 blind cats??? Stevie essentially wanders around trying to find Lula (while growling and hissing) - Lula either keeps playing or will stop and growl and hiss (which is pretty cute and tiny coming from an 8 wk old blind kitty). Stevie can be pretty mean sometimes but I don't think she'll hurt her I just think she can't find her so gets angry. She tracked my 2 yr old Jasmine around the house until she cornered her one day (didn't hurt her but cornered her for awhile).

I am keeping lula in my office with a baby gate, and let her out a couple hrs today to start the integration. When she's in the office, Stevie camps out in front of baby gate, growling and hissing.

A) I am afraid Stevie will hurt her
B) I'm being overprotective
C) I need advice!

So...do I just let them wander around til they bump into each other?????

Thanks for the help!

Ginger
critters
Founding Member

Re: Integrating 2 blind cats...need advice!

Post by critters »

Hmm. I've never had 2 blind furs at the same time, so I don't know if it's any different than any other.
gingercooper

Post by gingercooper »

Hi All,
So....it is just like any other integration...but a bit more humorous. Stevie tried to find Lula for days...growling and hissing as she went...Lula would track Stevie as well...brazen little kitten...a couple of accidental run-ins while Lula was playing and I was a bit over cautious and broke it up...til this past Friday, I wanted to video them trying to find each other as it can be funny (they would sit back to back and not know where the other was)...to my shock...they started playing!!!!!
They play all the time now and it is very cute to see! I'll post links to Youtube in a bit but have to run now!

Ginger
gingercooper

Post by gingercooper »