Blind Dog Reactive Barking on Walks

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
b2seball

Blind Dog Reactive Barking on Walks

Post by b2seball »

Good morning,
I have been fostering a 2 year old blind Jindo. He is a sweet dog, except when we are out walking, or when people come into the house he acts quite different. He barks excessively, his ears go back, and he lunges. I feel like I have tried everything. Poking at his back with my hand when he barks, getting him to sit, rewarding/ distracting with treats, a quick leash tug, loose leash. I just don't know what to do. It severely limits people coming over, especially those who are fearful of dogs.
Usually in the home, he relaxes after a few minutes, but I can't get him to stop outside. Any noise sets him off.

Any advice?
SandyNY

Re: Blind Dog Reactive Barking on Walks

Post by SandyNY »

he is not confident in your ability to lead/ protect. poking him or correcting him will not help. he is likely a dog who listens to your every word due to his disability. when walking, speak very calmly and warn him ahead of time. teach him a phrase that comes naturally to you " he's ok" . "it's fine" " friend" whatever naturally comes from your mouth can be the trigger he needs to know it is ok that a person is approaching and it is not a threat. he will likely feel any tension you have - if you are tense he is going to bark uncontrollably; he may interpret that he needs to be wary of whatever is approaching.
I work with handicapped people and i have a lady who does these crazy screaming behaviors; she is also legally blind. when i go shopping with her, i quietly tell her just before there is ANY change in the ground- it is amazing how quietly she can walk around and shop when she is not surprised.you just need to be aware of thier abilities and perseption of things.
I had a gsd that was very distrusting of people; but very word- oriented. so it was relatively easy to use calm words to cue him to what to do. An unfamiliar person, it is ok, I am in charge, we need to walk other side of street - i wonder how you handle people asking to pet him?
People thought i was speaking german to the gsd at times.LOL! I just used whatever word came to my lips first. i needed him to come away from the fence so people would not hurt him or try to pet him as he ran frantickly, unsurely, protecting us - I told him " from" as in ' come back from the fence' He understood fast what the word meant. people gave him the space he needed fearing i was talking german commands.lol. i know this is a foster, but setting the words to comfort and control him; i would hope anyone adoptinghim would be willing to learn His language.
b2seball

Post by b2seball »

Thank you for your reply. I will definately give this a try. I have tried talking to him a calm voice, but as soon as he goes crazy, I don't know what to do. I don't doubt that he can sense my nervouseness when people or dogs are around.

No one has ever asked to pet him, because no one comes withing 20 feet of us when we are walking lol. He COMPLETELY loses it. Hard to explain, but he sometimes launches his body in the air howling like someone is attacking him and lands on his side. It is quite distressing to watch. Poor thing, I really need to work on my calm vibe.
SandyNY

Post by SandyNY »

Hope you are doing well. assume you alredy go to the other side of the street asap when you see someone coming!
saw that yahoo headline video of crazy blind seizure dog who found a dog-friend and thought of you ! wonder if he had a dog he trusted; he would react off the other dog? !?! Bless you for your commitment, time, patience, attentiveness to this hurt soul. :D