Rescue Kitty is missing one eye, any care tips?

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
IncuKahlan

Rescue Kitty is missing one eye, any care tips?

Post by IncuKahlan »

Hello! I have been doing so much research on the internet, and finally found this wonderful website. We have a zoo here at home. Literally atleast 1 of everything. I also have a bad habit as my family puts it, of rescuing and taking in orphaned kitties. We have 4 that we've taken in over the last week. We live in Phoenix, AZ so it's already hot and I can't imagine leaving little 3-4 week old kittens outside to fend for themselves. The last 2 that were brought to us came from a nearby alley and appear to be about 4 weeks old. One is missing and eye. She still gets around, plays, eats soft kitty food and such. My concern is that I don't know what caused her to lose her eye, and she does appear to have some type of infection because she has pus that fills the hole where her eye should be. I don't know if this is just one of the things that happens when you lose an eye and it's to be expected, or if I should be giving her some antibiotics or ointment for her eye. Any advice would be appreciated. We've had her for about 3-4 days and she is doing good. Just a little under weight from roaming the alleys of course. Thanks!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Rescue Kitty is missing one eye, any care tips?

Post by critters »

I'd take her to the vet, not knowing what happened to the eye. There could be a foreign body in the socket, or an infection might've eaten it. The baby will be fine with 1 eye, but the infection needs to be treated. Some critters also have the eyelids put together to seal the socket.

Concatulations!! :mrgreen: