Cat is now blind-What can I do?

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
Pixxchick

Cat is now blind-What can I do?

Post by Pixxchick »

Our little boy has been acting strange lately. Walking into walls, not sleeping on our bed anymore...The vet confirmed our worst fear. He has gone blind.

I've been bawling like a baby the passed 72 hours and have been sleeping with him on the couch since the news came in...I have been searching online for ideas on what I can do to help him, make his life easier and happy...We have a very happy pet home. They are loved and kissed and cared for, talked to, hugged on a daily basis..(we have 2 cats-they are brothers from the same litter, 12 years old). His brother is fine, and they still sleep together, lick each other, tackle one another...Nothing there has seemed to change.

But what can I do now to ensure he is getting everything he needs from me? The vet suggests this may have happened several months ago, and we are only finding out now...as his behavior was strange, but nothing so shocking we thought we needed to take him in immediately.

He seems "okay". He is still coming up and down the stairs, eating as normal, using his litter box, following us around....He is slow, he hugs the walls as he walks. But seems otherwise "okay".

Other than NOT moving anything, does anyone think I should get a water fountain that creates the dripping sound, so he always knows where "home base" is? (His food and water).

Does anyone have recommendations on toys I can get or make for him? He used to go crazy chasing a laser beam of light for hours, now how can we entertain him?

Anything anyone could share would be great. I appreciate it, as my heart is broken for him and I am crying in my office at work this Monday morning, I am on a mission to make sure he is the happiest he can be.
Cadnil

Re: Cat is now blind-What can I do?

Post by Cadnil »

A blind cat can and will manage quite well. My cat, Speckles, went blind suddenly as a result of infection. After recovering from the illness, she never let the blindness stop her. I learned that after holding her, it was best to set her down in an easily recognized location such as next to the litter box or food dish, or two paws on the hard kitchen floor and two paws on the dining room carpet. For playtime, provide toys with jingle bells or other sounds. She might like a treat ball filled with dry food (a hole in the ball lets food fall out as the ball is rolled), a mouse covered in REAL rabbit fur (smells appealing), or catnip toys. I would even try toys on strings, like Da Bird. A water fountain may encourage her to drink more water, which is always good for the kidneys. Above all, just trust your cat! She will figure things out for herself. Blind cats live wonderful lives!

Speckles, my blind cat, came from a rescue organization. She had a difficult life before being rescued, and was not in good health. She lived two years after going blind, and died two weeks ago when her kidneys failed. Yes, I miss her, but I know she was a happy, loving, and much loved cat, which is how I remember her. Blindness was only a small piece of her life.
Pixxchick

Post by Pixxchick »

Thank you so much for the response. I appreciate the information and will take it all into account, as I begin transitioning myself as well as my sweet boy into our new lifestyle.

I did purchase a water fountain for him, so that no matter where he is in the house, he can hear the hum of the motor and know where he is at all times.

What I am trying to figure out right now if whether or not I can get him to get back onto the bed with us at night. Our bed sits high, and he hasn't jumped on it in a long time. Prior to realizing he could not see, we thought that he might have been having joint pain, or perhaps his hips or paws hurt from the jump. It is only now that we realize he cannot gage the height of the bed to get on and off safely. Does anyone recommend stairs, and if so, is that something I can now train him to use to get himself up and down? Or is it best to just leave him be on the floor? This is a difficult option for me, since we have all slept together for 12 years. To have him on the floor now alone, seems sad to me. :(

Please! If anyone else has tips, thoughts, success stories, I would LOVE to hear them. My mission is to make his life as enjoyable and as happy for him as possible. I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can!!!! He is still otherwise healthy, so I plan on him being with me for many years to come. Help me to make them happy ones for him!
Pixxchick

Post by Pixxchick »

And I am so sad to hear about your Speckles. I hope you continue to find peace and happiness in your memories of your happy times together. That was one lucky kitty cat to have found her way to you! :wub:
Cadnil

Post by Cadnil »

Thank you.

Speckles climbed stairs to get on my bed, but she also did so before going blind. You might teach your cat to climb stairs to your bed. He needs to be able to jump off, though. That means keeping the entire perimeter free of clutter so there is a safe landing space.

Before I had stairs (actually, I have a bilevel end table without legs) I built them using copy paper boxes & lids. I used 3 boxes, and put books inside to weight them down.
Pixxchick

Post by Pixxchick »

That is a GREAT idea! Thank u so much! I will try some boxes! I want to create atairs that are wide and not steep. Making it as easy as possible for him.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Stairs are a good idea, and Spunk, my blind punk, usually climbs to get up to stuff when she's not comfy jumping.

The water fountain is a great idea!