Walking a deaf dog with cataracts at night

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
MyThreePugs

Walking a deaf dog with cataracts at night

Post by MyThreePugs »

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a creative solution to a problem I have encountered since the time change. I adopted a disabled pug, Monster, in May. She has a multi-level spinal cord injury, an old hip fracture, is deaf, has cataracts, and has no teeth (in other words, she is perfect!). Here is my challenge - by the time I get home from work it is dark and when I take the pugs out, Monster seems very unsure and hesitant to walk. I hadn't previously noted her vision to be that poor, but at night she really doesn't seem to be able to see much at all. I've tried a flashlight and a flashing LED strobe, but neither seems effective and since she is deaf, I can't call her. I hate to keep putting her in her stroller at night because she really enjoys walking in her wheelchair, so if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!
Jenn, Boink, Pudge, and Monster
CarolC

Re: Walking a deaf dog with cataracts at night

Post by CarolC »

Hi Jenn,

Can you walk your dog at the mall? It is lighted at night (and you won't have a problem with stray dogs bothering you). That means an extra drive every night and an extra 20-30 minutes taken out of your schedule (driving) depending on how close you live. You may not be able to do it on Sundays if your schedule means you get there too late. There will still be people coming and going for 30 minutes after they close (like at 6 PM) but after the cars are gone I do not think it is as safe. I started walking my dog at the mall in December 2008 and loved it.

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... =3&t=12568

I solved the problem of transporting 2 ways. I used to have a laundry basket on the floor of the car when I drove my dog to the school to walk her. Later I had an open top carrier (with a wire door that opens on the top) and I strapped that in the passenger seat with the top open and left it. (Only works if you don't have passengers very often.)
MyThreePugs

Re: Walking a deaf dog with cataracts at night

Post by MyThreePugs »

Carol, that is a good idea and certainly one I never would have thought of. I will have to figure out where a good location for this might be in my area so that Monster can get more exercise!
Thanks, Jennifer