Blind cat joining a deaf cat household?

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
CaptainK04

Blind cat joining a deaf cat household?

Post by CaptainK04 »

I currently have a deaf cat who is about a year and half old. I did not know she was deaf when I adopted her from the humane society and only discovered that she was in fact deaf this past summer (I had her vet confirm it for me and he believes she was most likely born deaf). That being said I'd like to get her a companion as she she is still very young and energetic and I think would love the playmate.
I've brought her around other cats and while she keeps her distance from them at first, as long they aren't agressive towards her she seems content to share a house with them so it is my hope that adopting a little brother or sister for her will be something that she can adapt to quickly.
She has been such a wonderful cat to me, and I'm always shocked when upon telling people that I found out only a few months ago of her disability, they respond by asking me why I didn't just return her to the shelter and get a different cat. That reaction is something that bothers me a great deal, and so now that I'm ready to adopt a second cat I think I'd like to specifically get one with a disability as I don't think very many people give them the chance to prove that they can lead a normal and happy life like any other animals.
I have recently found at a shelter a completly blind 6 month old male cat. When he was found and brough to the shelter both of his eyes were punctured through. They have since healed, but he is 100% blind.
My question is whether or not my deaf cat and this blind kitten will be able to live together. I want to do what is best for both of them but I'm nervous that because one is deaf and the other is blind that they will have a difficult time getting to know one another and bonding.
Please let me know if you have any advice or insight into this situation.
Thanks everyone.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Blind cat joining a deaf cat household?

Post by critters »

Their disabilities shouldn't, in my opinion, make much difference in how they get along. 1 1/2 years is pretty young, and 6 months is certainly young, so that should help--babies tend to not want to be alone. If you could, you might consider a trial run with the newbie with an option of taking him/her back if it doesn't work out, especially if space is tight so that separation (if necessary) would be a problem.