Blind Dog Barking When Left Alone

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
Lozzie

Blind Dog Barking When Left Alone

Post by Lozzie »

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to leave a blind dog when you leave the house? I have been letting him have the run of the lounge room however I think he's been barking while we're out and I'm worried the neighbouring apartments will complain. Would I be better to leave him in his pen when we go out?
Christine

Re: Blind Dog Barking When Left Alone

Post by Christine »

They say that a dog barks when left alone if they are scared or bored. Is your dog newly blind? (If so, check the front page for tips on living with and helping a blind dog.) www.blinddog.net also has a forum where you could ask about this.

How does he feel about his crate? If he is used to it and thinks of it as his den, it could be a secure place for him. If he is ever sent there for punishment, he won't think of it that way. What size dog is he? (I guess you know I am hinting for a picture! :mrgreen: )

My first thought was to make the area he will be in smaller with furniture or something like an x-pen and fill it with familiar things - toys he likes, something with your scent. A kong filled with his food and a little peanut butter would keep him busy. You could also leave a radio on with soft music and a tv with people talking could help him feel that he is not alone.

Try to make your leaving and returning as uneventful and casual as possible. They pick up on routines that mean you will be leaving and as much as we are excited to see them when we return making a big deal of the "reunion" kind of confirms the fact that they have been "all alone forever".

As you try new things to do when he is alone - keeping him in his crate or a smaller area - do little mini-leaves ( from a few minutes to a few hours) to see how he reacts and also to reinforce that you are coming back. If you have a video camera, that would help you see exactly what is happening when you are gone.

Please let us know how things work out - this will help others along the way.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08