introducing playful new kitten to blind older cat

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
suki5944

introducing playful new kitten to blind older cat

Post by suki5944 »

I don't know what I was thinking when I got the new 8 week old kitten from one of my students. I did not stop to consider how Monty would react and was more concerned with the two dogs. My blind 13 year old female Monty cat is very passive and it took her over a day before she even knew the kitten was in the house. All heck broke loose when she accidentally met the kitten who had bounded out from my bedroom. I have never heard her growl so. I feared Monty might kill her. Then I realized how terrifying it must have been for Monty to have a streaking fur-ball jump on her. The kitten came from a multi -cat household and had no fear of cats and had met my Thomas an 11 year old short hair cat who is a sweetheart with little problem. She was terrified of the dogs. I realize I now have a huge safety problem for the kitten and a psychological problem for Monty. I have to go to work tomorrow but am petrified the kitten will escape my bedroom and Monty will attack her...or the little one will jump on her playing again. Monty has accepted other cats into the household but that was before she was totally blind. I really love the kitten but Monty needs to be reassured too. Suggestions??
critters
Founding Member

Re: introducing playful new kitten to blind older cat

Post by critters »

Hmm. Not that you'd want to depend on it, but I doubt the old girl would really hurt the baby. The baby will probably get his ears boxed and might even learn some manners! The baby will probably bond with Thomas and/or the dogs for love and companionship. Typically these things sort themselves out with only some noise and ruffled hair, but I still always keep an eye out, just in case.
Christine

Re: introducing playful new kitten to blind older cat

Post by Christine »

Check this discussion on the same question. Lots of good information...

http://www.handicappedpet.net/helppets/ ... php?t=9960
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08