Help introducing blind dog to other dogs

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
smoon

Help introducing blind dog to other dogs

Post by smoon »

I have a 4 y/o blind Aussie who is super friendly and playful with people and other dogs. However, she reacts very strongly when meeting new dogs. This started when she was between 2 and 3 years old. She gets overly excited (particularly if they are moving about quickly, not being still for her to sniff), stops to smell them and then lunges toward them growling and snapping usually around their neck and face. It's embarrassing because she really is friendly and would love to play once she learns their smell and calms down. But understandably the other owner usually is terrified to bring their dog around again thinking she's aggressive despite me explaining her sensitivity due to being blind. She plays well with the dogs she is already familiar with, but I don't know how to train her to calmly greet new dogs now. Anyone have any suggestions?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Help introducing blind dog to other dogs

Post by critters »

:slant: I'd do a behavior program with her, regardless of her vision status; I'd be afraid to take her anywhere if she acts like that. In fact, maybe further visiting is something to hold off on, until the behavior changes.
TroopersMama

Re: Help introducing blind dog to other dogs

Post by TroopersMama »

I have a blind beagle puppy. He is great with any and all humans, loves people... but despite my efforts he is not taking well to other dogs. I have two of my own besides him and with them it is still just maybe 60/40 that he gets along with them. He can be very aggressive about it but I think it is entirely defensive aggression. From what you describe, I would think your Aussie is being defensive.

Think about it... they can't read the body language of other dogs nor can they respond appropriately... and, the other dog may respond to your dog's body language but your dog cannot see that. I would think this would make the animal very anxious and stressed - which for a dog results in either shy/cowering behaviour or defensiveness. With Trooper I think he is frustrated as well. Maybe yours is too?

Trooper was born blind and is just 7mos. To nip this in the bud, I am working with a trainer. I could have done the same things with a friend who was patient and had a calm dog. There isn't any big training secret we have, I just take him to the same place every week.The first time was just him and one very calm dog, about his size. He was shy because it was a new space for him. Week 2 was him plus the same dog and first one more, then another... so we had 4 dogs including trooper. We just let things go as slow as possible. One dog added at a time. We kept the other dogs on leash at first and let Trooper approach them. Then we'd let the dog off-leash.

It will be a long, patient process because the goal is to have him associate other dogs with positive interaction and so it has to be repeated over and over and we have to keep it happy, fun and safe. The last thing we want is for something to majorly scare him. If something does scare or startle him I give him lots of energetic, happy pats and use my most cheerful voice.. I'll just say something like Oh dear, big noises! Big noises Trooper... are you being all silly? The idea is to relay the message that it is safe and ok, that you're not scared and he doesn't need to be, it's all fun.

Having said that, a blind dog will always have trouble with the whole body language thing with other dogs and you have to be the intermediary. I always tell owners my dog is blind and may not react well. I'll explain the body language thing if it seems appropriate. I ask they keep their dog on leash and let them approach slowly. We'll go from there. It isn't perfect but if your dog feels safe and protected with you then he may start to relax. That is the key when the other dog is friendly... having your dog relax and feel safe.