My Blind Little Beagle

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
TroopersMama

My Blind Little Beagle

Post by TroopersMama »

I am the very proud mama to a 7 month old beagle named Trooper. I named him that because he is undaunted by his hurdles in life. It is heart warming to watch him.

Trooper has cerebellar hypoplasia, which means his cerebellum didn't develop quite right. That doesn't cause blindness on its own but whatever caused the CH also lead to blindness. I have learned about the neurological outcomes as he has grown and we may still find other problems in the future. He walks better with his front end than back end, and the muscles in the back are not developing as they should, he looks very thin in the back. He has very little fine motor control, has poor balance, a stiff gait and his neuro problems mean he has trouble pooping as well as controlling his urine. He poops on or near a pee pad and will run to his pad to pee most of the time but was making such a mess, along with the dribbling, I decided to band him.

Trooper has become the light of my whole world. I have a rare disorder myself and this guy works better than anything to help me stay positive and keep going.

I hope to exchange tips and support here... it is sort of lonely being the only person i know with a disabled pet.
CarolC

Re: My Blind Little Beagle

Post by CarolC »

:gang:

There is another new person who just joined who is getting a puppy with some similar symptoms, although they say it is not CH. I am sure she would appreciate any tips you can share! Here is her introduction:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18305
Aren't belly bands wonderful? Some of them are awfully cute, too, and you can even make your own. :sew:

:malewrap:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: Yes, seldom does CH come alone, especially with the more severe varieties. Can he see at all?
galenkpreston

Post by galenkpreston »

It Is very sad to know about your blind pet. However you should take care of him properly since he is not able to see, you much know where he is going and what he is eating.There are more chances of odor and stains with the blind pets. You should know the best tips to clean pet stains and odor, so that he will not face hygienic problem in the future.