meds for blind cats

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
critters
Founding Member

meds for blind cats

Post by critters »

Jan wanted me to ask how other people with blind cats give them meds without getting shredded. I just do it--nothing special, and I suggested whacking his claws. She says

'Can you ask around on vetpet & HPBB how people with blind cats medicate them? Stevie Ray is a cat i rescued last summer & he's adopted to dear friends of mine. Turns out he has bartonella and they are getting shredded trying to get meds into him! Of course being blind his sense of smell is like a bloodhound so he knows when they're coming to try getting the zith. into him. liquid was impossible, and so far trying to disguise pill in sardine balls hasn't worked either. I coached Doug over the phone and told him to be sure not to transfer any med. smells to outside of the food ball. One hand to roll it, and other to encapsulate pill.
Stevie doesn't like sardines.
Pill Pockets are useless. Any ideas that you can dig up are great. I even emailed Blind Cat Sanctuary but haven't heard back from them.
Pics attached of Stevie who was born blind and thrown outside un-neutered in a trailer park. He'll be my project next week when Doug & Jan go away...and I'd love to avoid be torn up haa, haa! Jan & Doug have adopted countless kitties from me over the years including "Special Ed" with CH, and "Lucy" with RH, and are the best caretakers :-)"

Anybody have any other ideas?
CarolC

Re: meds for blind cats

Post by CarolC »

I would use a pet piller. Here is the brand I use. I would NOT NOT NOT recommend any other brand, there are some crummy and even hurtful imitations out there, pillers that are hard and pointy, pillers that are too rough that I would never poke into my cat's throat. If she cannot get this kind, let me know.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Pet+Piller-p ... 7AodY1YAfg

This one has a little rubber tip you put the pill in, poke the pill into the back of the mouth, and there is a plunger you press with your thumb to expel the pill from the rubber tip. Remove the piller and if your cat licks his nose he swallowed the pill. The gret thing is, you are putting the pill all the way back and he is not having to taste it with his tongue like hiding it in a meatball.

Basically, you can scruff the cat with one hand and poke the piller into his mouth if it is closed by simply pressing it into the corner of the mouth. The little rubber tip usually keeps the pill in its grip. It depends on the size of the pill. Sometimes the pill comes out of the rubber tip while you are poking trying to get the cat to open his mouth and your have to reinsert it into the rubber tip if it's a big pill. In that case you have to let go of the cat, so if you have big pills I would pill him in the bathroom with the door closed so you don't have to keep chasing him down if you have to let go and put the pill back in the piller. But usually it works the first time, the corner of the mouth is a weak entry point you can usually get into even if they have their mouth clamped shut.

After you are done, wash it off with warm water and put it in the drawer for next time. I swear but these, but this brand ONLY.

critters
Founding Member

Re: meds for blind cats

Post by critters »

We used to have a couple like in the video, but somebody ate the rubber fingers off. :twisted: