Blind cat litterbox issues.

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
davsx

Blind cat litterbox issues.

Post by davsx »

So last week, I adopted a 4(ish) year old blind and partially deaf male cat from our ASPCA. for the first four days, we had absolutely no problems with him. He navigated pretty well given his condition (in addition to being blind, someone had cut his whiskers off prior to him being found) and even managed to get in bed with me to sleep. My other cats tend to avoid him because they're unsure about him still.
Suddenly, on day 5 of having him, he stopped using the litter box and has started pooping on my new carpet. (he had been going in the box before that). I tried moving the box to a more accessable spot and introducing him to it, and still, he continues to go on my carpet. It was a box with a lid, and I took the lid off, still no change.
I do think that one of my other cats may have peed on the carpet near where he is pooping (the pee happened before we got the blind cat so i know it wasn't him)... could this be a factor in why he isn't using the litter box? i know he relies on smell to navigate.
My husband is getting highly aggravated with the situation and says if we don't find a resolution to the issue, he has to go.
I don't know what to do because i've never had a blind cat, nor have i had a pooping issue with my other cats.

any advice? I really don't want to have to give up/rehome Oscar. i love him already
critters
Founding Member

Re: Blind cat litterbox issues.

Post by critters »

:slant: Hmm. Have you tried Cat Attract litter? http://www.amazon.com/Precious-Cat-Attr ... at+attract My monsters just love it, except for the 2 most severely brain damaged ones. You can get a blend to put in regular litter, too. http://www.amazon.com/Precious-Cat-Litt ... at+attract I expect that Oscar would not only be attracted to it, but it would also make the box more sniffy.
davsx

Post by davsx »

thanks, i may give that a try.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Nature's Miracle will prevent resoiling. It's an enzyme cleaner that completely breaks down the organic compounds in the urine so that pet doesn't keep returning to the spot. I get it from PetsMart. Another suggestion is an additional litterbox.