Advice needed

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
Cookies mom

Advice needed

Post by Cookies mom »

Cookie is a 6 year old calico cat that went through dental surgery this past Monday, when she was in recovery, she stopped breathing and was intibated, they do not know how long she was without oxygen. Immediately she lost the use of her back legs and reflexes, the next day she lost her eye sight. She has reflexes back, full use of her legs and when you touch her around the eye area, she blinks now. They say she is having neurological episodes, I do believe is is stress due to not being able to see and also not being in her own environment. Any advice as to help me help her to make her home safe and comfortable for her. I do have an empty spare room for her to be in for her space if her eye sight does come back or until she adapts to her blindness.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Advice needed

Post by critters »

:slant: At only 6, I think she should be able to adapt just fine. There's also a significant possibility that her vision will come back, although maybe not all, as her brain recovers. If she's stable, I'd bring her home. You can use a perfumed litter to help her find her box. I think I'd keep her in a smallish, easy-to-clean, padded spot at first, maybe even a playpen. That way you can watch and see if she has seizures or other neuro things. Do you have any experience with critter or human disabilities? Any medical-type background? That all helps, but, even if you don't, being WILLING is the biggest thing!!
Cookies mom

Post by Cookies mom »

She has alergies so I have non scented litter for her. I have no experience with working with disabilities in humans or animals. Is there a site that maybe has references to help me, what to expect or any information to help her and I to adapt.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Hmm. Have you read the sticky at the top of this board? Honestly, cats usually do very well.