Adopting a DeafBlind puppy or dog

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
JaynTinks

Adopting a DeafBlind puppy or dog

Post by JaynTinks »

Hi

I am interested in fostering/taking in a DeafBlind puppy or dog in the near future that otherwise would not get a home.

Using sign language is not a problem I have an extensive vocab of sign, my own dogs were brought up using sign so a dog with enough sight to see some signs would pretty much get taught words the way mine were.

My question is what if the dog is totally blind and deaf? or has sight so limited signing is not useful, (maybe it could only see the difference between light and dark) or had no sight at all and not enough hearing to distinguish and learn 'words'... how do you teach commands?

My young collie has well over a 250 word/sign vocab but he has normal hearing and low vision due to 'holes' in his eyes (causing small blind spots in his field of vision) My old dog although going deaf and blind is now 14, and can be easily directed around as she knows the routine. ... but a puppy or a dog I was fostering that had gone deaf/blind (i might be given an older deaf dog that was struggling cos it had also developed cataracts or an unwanted abandoned puppy cos it had been deafblind).

Where would I start? Would you expect the same or instantly make exceptions for everything such as it doesn't matter if this one poops in the house it won't get told off, or 'we won't bother toilet training her, she can just poop anywhere and we'll clear up', or is there a way to teach it? how does it learn 'outside' when it can't hear the word or see what 'outside' is to go there?

As anyone successfully taught a deafblind dog the same amount of commands as a sighted/hearing dog entirely through touch commands?

Thanks
critters
Founding Member

Re: Adopting a DeafBlind puppy or dog

Post by critters »

Hmm. Good questions! I would say touch signs/commands or vibrations, or probably even both--you wouldn't be able to use vibrations outside, for example. Vibrations are convenient in the house, as can be light blinks if there's enough vision.
BeepBeepLettuce

Post by BeepBeepLettuce »

My friend has this thing with her dog wherein she repeats actions with physical interaction to teach her dog.

Like when she touches the nose, it usually means that the food is ready and she leads her dog to the bowl.
Or when she puts on her dog tracker or collar, that usually means they're going for a short walk.

I have no idea on how she trained her dog, but she keeps telling me that she did repeated physical signals to teach her dog.
KingTonyegl22

Post by KingTonyegl22 »

That's actually very nice I should try that with my dog and my dog gps tracker.
adamsNancy

Post by adamsNancy »

In theory you can with much patience of course.
JaynTinks

Post by JaynTinks »

Hi again

Thanks for your replies I'd completely forgot I posted this!

I still don't have a deaf/blind pup, my old girl passed away just after her 15th birthday which hit me hard as she had literally been my whole support system for most of her life. (she used to alert me to sound and help around the house as I have mobility issues) I've had depression and other health issues for the last year or so.

I still have my young dog (now nearly 5yrs old) who has learnt to help me but haven't felt ready to take in another yet. Due to chronic fatigue from pain levels it's been a struggle just finding the energy to get him out let alone cope with another pup in the house.

I seem to be slowly climbing back out of the pit of depression and my energy levels improving so I still hope to be able to help another dog in the future, just not sure when. I guess fate will send him/her to me when I'm ready!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm sorry for your loss. :cry:
adamsNancy

Post by adamsNancy »

I'm glad to hear that you are slowly recovering, hope it continues.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Sure, you can post pictures here. I suggest starting your own thread about your baby and posting pics. :whale: