Sydney is scared

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
darola

Sydney is scared

Post by darola »

Hello. One of our rescue dogs is 3 years old and went blind suddenly last November. She is healthy otherwise. At first she appeared to be adapting well and quickly but over the past month she is slowly getting more anxious and timid.
Sydney is a 70Lb. Lab/Ridgeback mix.
I don't want to put her on traditional meds since Prozac seems to be the go to for vets. Does anyone know of essential oils or natural remedies that work for anxiety in pets?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Sydney is scared

Post by critters »

Yes, Prozac is common, as is amitriptyline (possibly misspelled). They make halo vests as a sort of white cane/face protection for blind critters. I wonder if this is a case where that might help? Here's HP's halo. http://www.handicappedpets.com/halo

:whale:
darola

Post by darola »

We are not going to use the Halo's as I have 2 other dogs and one would think it was a pull toy.
I am more concerned about her anxiety.
She does not run into too much as she mapped the house out pretty well.
GSDLover

Post by GSDLover »

Have you tried putting bells on everyones collars? We have a blind foster dog, and we found the bells help him "see" where everyone is. I know that helped Simon navigate his world better.