Newly blind cat

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
CrazyLegs75

Newly blind cat

Post by CrazyLegs75 »

Hello community. Our vet and an internist believe that our one-year-old Kissa has dry FIP. Kissa started losing her sight about 10 days ago, and yesterday it was confirmed that she is now totally blind. She navigates the house ok, and we are getting a baby gate for the steps. I'm just worried--is she afraid? She doesn't play, and that could be whatever is making her sick and not the blindness. I just want to make her feel comfortable and safe, no matter if she's here for another week or another month. Any advice?

Thank you.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Newly blind cat

Post by critters »

:slant: Hmm. Do you have toys the make noise, such as jingle bells? For Spunk, my blind punk, I replaced the ball in a track ball toy with one with bells inside. You might make a raid on a pet store and see what you can find.

She could be emotionally unsettled, yes, or also sick. It's hard to tell.
Ayush

Post by Ayush »

I found a kitten in a drain a few weeks ago. I took him home. He recovered at a good rate, but his sight is so weak. Whenever he hears unknown sound, he gets scared and starts crying until i hold in my arms andGBWhatsApp APK (my primay language is Hindi and my english is not good, so i'm not getting the right word here, i think, pet his head with slow & soft movements). Then he relaxes. I tried the jingly balls, but he is runnning away from them. Any suggestions please.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Ayush,

Your English is excellent, don't worry about that. :trophy:

I don't know much about blind kittens but I think critters will when she visits the board and sees your post. How old is your little kitten?
Ayush

Post by Ayush »

I'm not sure, may be 3/4 months.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:strobe: I agree that your English is fine! Hmm. I've never had a blind one who doesn't like sound, but I have a brain damaged one that hates it. A blind baby will have to use sound to play, but maybe use toys that are more quiet until he gets used to it all? A track ball toy tends to be a lot of fun for disabled kittens because the ball comes back to them. They're also pretty quiet, but you can put a jingle bell ball in the track, too. This is an example. https://www.amazon.com/Toy%EF%BC%8CCat- ... 187&sr=8-2 My Tripod wasn't blind, but when she was a baby she loved playing with a ping pong ball in the bathtub for the same reason. I stopped up the drain and let her play--the ball came back to her.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

PS-- :thankyou: for taking this baby in!
Ayush

Post by Ayush »

Thank you Critters for the help. I will try it.
LucaJones

Post by LucaJones »

Hello, I recently adopted a cat that looks half blind. I'm seeking advice on how to help him adjust to his new condition and create a safe and enriching environment for him. Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:gang:

Hi LucaJones,

If your cat has partial vision, that's great!

Blind cats do amazingly well as indoor cats. They can even catch mice. When I watch this video, I believe it!

This post has some good suggestions to make things easier for your cat.

Here is an easy want to make stairs for your cat.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=21630
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:welcome: Yes, blind cats aren't too happy jumping, although they may jump common places that don't change, like the bed. Toys that make some noise, like jingle bell balls, should work. My young ones always liked a bell ball in a track ball toy, so they didn't lose the ball. If there's some vision a laser pointer on a white background might be appealing.