Eye removal

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
MissWhiskers

Eye removal

Post by MissWhiskers »

A few months ago I pulled a cat from a highkill shelter with the intention of re-homing him. He had a URI in the shelter but by the time he was transported to me it was much better and seemed to be over soon after I got him. A few weeks later his left eye seemed to get conjunctivitis. I mostly treated him with warm compresses and it went away but then a couple weeks later he had conjunctivitis again, though now in the other eye. He was very hard to handle in order to do anything to help treat his eye and was pretty much hiding from me. I could see him on the floor in a dark corner of a closet and from what I could see his eye was swollen shut - but he wouldn't allow me to get close. I left him alone for awhile and when I checked on him next it looked like his eye was starting to open again so I was glad about that. I couldn't see very well in the dark corner he was camped out in - but I started to realize that even tho the eye was opening it looked horrible!! It was late Sat eve but I took him to an emergency vet where the doctor thought the eye would probably have to be removed - though not immediately that night. I felt shocked and devastated. I told that Dr that I would want to consult an Ophthalmologist before removing his eye and got the name of the one they recommended. I took Tigger to see the Vet Ophthalmologist the next day. She said he had a deep and melted corneal wound covering the whole cornea and that there were weak spots in the cornea. She prescribed two types of eye drops, Tobramycin and Ofloxacin, antibiotics and pain meds and said to come back in 4 days to reassess. We were going to watch and see how he healed, but there was a chance the eye may need to be removed. When we went back she said the corneal ulcer was better, but there were two spots in the cornea that could leak aqueous fluid but that cats were good healers and to come back in a couple of weeks. When we went back she said there was a rupture in the cornea and a pinpoint where fluid was leaking and the anterior chamber collapsed. We scheduled a procedure where basically she stitched his lids shut to keep the fluid from leaking. After that she said he had glaucoma and now if I want to try to save the eye she needs to do some surgery - a conjunctival graft and an Iridectomy (about $1,100) --- and there's a chance that the eye still might need to be removed! ($700) :cry:
I've tried so hard to save his eye and now it seems like that is what will ultimately need to be done. I don't have $1,100 - but even if I could get it, the chances are not good that he won't need the eye removed anyway. And I've already spent at least $1,300 -- which I didn't have either!?
So, I need to decide which way to go and I'm looking for advice & support and any input at all.
I should also explain that I feel guilty and wonder if this might not have happened if I had taken him to the vet sooner.
MissWhiskers

Re: Eye removal

Post by MissWhiskers »

IMG_3401.JPG
IMG_3402.JPG
IMG_3399.JPG
Photos of Tigger's beautiful eyes -
Before, when it happened and today.

Has anyone been through having their cat's eye removed? I could really use some input! I feel awful!!

Karen
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I've had several get Third Eyelid Flaps and keep their eyes, including Spunk, my "blind" punk, who can actually see a little. I had another who'd already had enucleation (eye removal), and my mom had it, too. What a handsome fella! I wouldn't hesitate to do it if TEF didn't work. His eye doesn't look ruptured from here, but that's not much to go on. If he has acute glaucoma, that's a dead-ender, but I'd try a 2nd opinion.
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

Thanks Critters,
The "rupture" was in the cornea and perhaps tear would be a better word - although I got it from the Dr. Originally she had explained that there were a couple of weak spots in the cornea. So I think she used "rupture" to describe that they were no longer just weak spots in the cornea but had opened or broke through.
She also described one of those spots as a pinhole.

But unfortunately he does have Glaucoma. I'm about to call her office to ask a few questions, but on Fri she was indicating that removing the eye would make him more comfortable - I think she meant more quickly. I don't think he seems to be UNcomfortable at this time! But I think she notices some pretty subtle things.
She might have been leaning that way because she knows I can't really afford the surgical procedures she is saying she can try. I like the Dr a lot. I hope she isn't suggesting procedures that are futile! They wouldn't do that, would they?
I'm about to call her office to ask some questions...
But when you said that if he has Glaucoma - that's a dead-ender -- you meant that means removal of the eye will be the only option, didn't you?
Thanks for sharing your experience with me,

Karen
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yes, acute glaucoma is such that enucleation would be best. It can be quite painful.

As for futile, yes, some would, but I'd hope that most would not try something they KNOW up front would likely be futile. Sometimes futility is known only in hindsight.
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

Thanks Critters! I went by the Ophthalmologist's office to pick up a report and new rx. I hadn't noticed the word "Acute" before. Maybe Tigger's isn't acute but anyway I clarified that he won't have to have the eye removed IF he gets the surgery. So now I have to seek financial assistance for $1135 - as I have been unemployed for a few months now and already spent $1300.
I will check out the financial assistance info on this site. I also set up a go-fund-me page. Do you know if I can post it anywhere on this website?
Thanks again!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I see you figured out where to post it. :D
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

Yes, thank you! ☺