Blind and very undersocialized

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
krisrath11

Blind and very undersocialized

Post by krisrath11 »

Hi, so I am contemplating adopting 2 kitties who are brother and sister. The boy is blind, and the female is blind in 1 eye and sees at least some out of the other. They have been in foster care since they were very young and living in a dog kennel with their almost feral mother in it. They have either ch or something that gives them an odd gait that was diagnosed as such. The foster says they haven't been really dealt with in the last 6 weeks due to ringworm, that they have never been on the floor, and that they try and push away to get down when held. Apparently the mom can be touched but is not tame, so she learns from them. I'm not taking the mom, as I feel she in a way hinders their progress, so I think it may help, but the fact that they haven't lived outside a cage and are now 5 1/2 months old, and are obviously way underexposed on all levels is it possible to make them ok in a multi animal household and be happy? Could their lack of exercise and enjoyment be aiding in their acting as such as anytime they are out of the cage it is all new, and they want to explore or go home? I want to be sure adopting them is going to be in their best interest and they can be happy
critters
Founding Member

Re: Blind and very undersocialized

Post by critters »

krisrath11 wrote:Hi, so I am contemplating adopting 2 kitties who are brother and sister. The boy is blind, and the female is blind in 1 eye and sees at least some out of the other. They have been in foster care since they were very young and living in a dog kennel with their almost feral mother in it. They have either ch or something that gives them an odd gait that was diagnosed as such. It could very well be, but they might be uncoordinated because they've been in a crate their whole lives. The foster says they haven't been really dealt with in the last 6 weeks due to ringworm, that they have never been on the floor, and that they try and push away to get down when held. Apparently the mom can be touched but is not tame, so she learns from them. I'm not taking the mom, as I feel she in a way hinders their progress, so I think it may help, but the fact that they haven't lived outside a cage and are now 5 1/2 months old, and are obviously way underexposed on all levels is it possible to make them ok in a multi animal household and be happy?It's very possible for them to be happy, but I'd be willing to bet that they'll be "cat kitties" and not "people kitties." Could their lack of exercise and enjoyment be aiding in their acting as such as anytime they are out of the cage it is all new, and they want to explore or go home? I want to be sure adopting them is going to be in their best interest and they can be happyI'd give it a shot. They can be happy even if they're "house ferals." My Mosby was a house feral for at least 10 years, which is how he got his name--the Gray Ghost. He's now the best boy I have at 16 or so.
My current most severely brain damaged fur is most significantly damaged in his personality, etc. I consider him autistic, but he's still happy with his siblings. He thinks, however, that I'm an axe murderer even though he's been in my house since he was about 2 weeks old, and he'll be 5 in May.

Do you know about the CH Kitty Club? There used to be an email listserv as well, but I don't know if that's still active. https://www.facebook.com/groups/CHKittyClub/ There's a UK one as well, if you're interested.