Hearing-Impaired Kitten

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
linyforever

Hearing-Impaired Kitten

Post by linyforever »

My son rescued a kitten from work a few months back. She's been to the vet several times. At first, she had no voice. The vet prescribed antibiotics. Her voice cleared up; however, it was raspy.

Another trip to the vet and she was given decongestants, which helped a bit. It was difficult administering the decongestants, as she has a tendency to return to her ferral state.

She began scratching her head, leaving open wounds. Another trip to the vet and she got a shot of cortisone.

My son's friend noticed two days ago that she does not respond to sound. I hadn't noticed that before.

If she's looking at you and you speak loudly, she responds. Aside from that, nothing.

She's an inside cat, so I don't see not hearing well being a life-altering issue. Though it does come into play with the other 2 cats. They will hiss at her when she does something offensive - but she doesn't hear them.

Currently, we are isolating her periodically to keep her safe from the other cats when they get annoyed at her. I've found spending more time with all 3 cats defuses any potential altercations.

Another issue. By all appearances, this cat is approx a year old. She's got full-grown fangs; however, the rest of her teeth are just barely above her gumline. A nutrition issue from the past possibly? The cats all get dry food constantly and I split a can of canned food between the three of them every afternoon.

Sierra (the ferral rescue) has gained some weight since we've taken her in and my local friends on another forum have recommended a vet for disabled animals.

They also recommended this website. Any advice? Appreciate any assistance to enable this kitten to live a full, active lifestyle.
Its not having what you want,
Its wanting what you've got.
x

Re: Hearing-Impaired Kitten

Post by x »

A deaf kitten doesn't usually need too many adaptations; she will learn to go by what her sibs are doing. You may wish, however, to teach her such means of communication as patterns of flicking light switches or stomping on the floor, for instance, so she'll know when to come. You could also try some signs, but she'd have to be awake and you'd have to be right there in order for her to get the message. LOL.

You may never know absolutely and for certain what her hearing levels are without an ABR, like they do on human babies, but, as her mom, you can get a REALLY good idea of what levels and pitches she can hear (if any) over time. Plus, like you say, it doesn't make any difference anyway. Just work on some communication and love her just the way she is!!
linyforever

Post by linyforever »

She has no sibs around. I will definitely do the flickering lights thing - thanks for the idea!

Sierra is very loved - and she's an attention whore, which makes it very easy from the human perspective. She thrives on any form of attention - sitting in your lap, being petted, running after balls, playing on the cat gymnasium.

I increased the amount of canned food they all got this evening. Sierra and Pretty Girl were thrilled! Buttercup only lasted through two servings and is looking for some dry food.

I'll work with the lights tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thank you.
linyforever

Post by linyforever »

Thank you for the links! I will have a BAER test done for Sierra.

I'll keep you all posted.
x

Post by x »

linyforever wrote:She has no sibs around.

I increased the amount of canned food they all got this evening. Sierra and Pretty Girl were thrilled! Buttercup only lasted through two servings and is looking for some dry food.
How about Buttercup and Pretty Girl?! That's what I meant. :)

As for the BAER/ABR (same thing), it's not that simple, and it probably wouldn't be worthwhile expense-wise. Typically only Dalmatian breeders go through the expense and trouble; you'd probably have to sedate her and go to UVA, VCU, etc. to get it done. I know UVA does/did it, but I don't know who else. I doubt anybody local would be game, although you could try.
linyforever

Post by linyforever »

Pretty Girl and Buttercup never crossed my mind as sibs. Sorry - it was late. They are both rescues, too. Its an interesting lot - Sierra was recently a street cat with ferral tendencies.

Pretty Girl had been rescued a couple of times but never fit in with other cats at the homes that took her in. She was my one and only pet for almost two years. She is the epitome of feminine and painfully shy. She is also undyingly loyal - anytime I've been ill, she has stayed in bed with me and been on the alert when I woke up. Don't know what she thinks she's going to do to assist. But it doesn't really matter - she's there and on patrol when I'm down.

Buttercup was the neighbor's cat; however, the rest of the "family" consisted of 3 male cats so Buttercup ended up having to fight for her dinner - quite literally. She was a tough old lady when we got her. Used to run outside every once in awhile - though the outside neighborhood cats scared her badly one morning and she's been more than happy to be a housecat ever since. The other cats used to annoy Buttercup but she's become surprisingly protective of Sierra.

I didn't realize there was so much involved with a BAER test. Think I'll just make Sierra an appointment with a local vet who specializes in handicapped animals and see what happens.

As long as those of us that live here understand the hearing loss issue, I think Sierra's going to be fine. She never tries to go outside. I think she's spent enough time on the streets. ;)
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

And some folks use laser lights for training or getting attention of deafcritters (sorry critters)
You can also scent train, keeping a can of air freshener when you want her attention. Spray, treat. Spray,over here.
Repetion. Not a lot, because cats are wayyy smart...
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
linyforever

Post by linyforever »

I never cease to be amazed at how smart the cats are. Each in her own way. Its also been very interesting to focus into their personalities - very pronounced and very different.

Cats are so interesting. Dogs are, too. I just can't have one around with the ladies. They've adapted to our lifestyle and it works for all of us.

Thank you for all the information.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Great site (deafpups)

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

and GabrielDeafBlindPup just left them a pawprint!
:)
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/