Possible answer to mystery blindness

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
Christine

Possible answer to mystery blindness

Post by Christine »

My Bailey went blind in February, 2005 and without going into all of the many details, regained her sight in June of the same year. This February, she experienced a vestibular syndrome for nearly a month and when she came out of it, she lost her sight again.

For the past few weeks, I have noticed the return of milder symptoms of the vestibular problem and we are dealing with high liver levels again (last year, that and low thyroid were treated successfully).

The constant search for a good organic dog food and SOMEONE to explain what has been going on with my girl took me to an alternative vet about 45 miles away.

Her contention is that protozoa (parasites) could be the cause of what has been going on and we are on a round of homeopathic supplements. She explained that there are about 800 protozoa "out there" and only 5 have been identified. One of the things protozoa can affect is the spine.

The encouraging news for me was that the things that have been happening with Bailey are not symptymatic of a brain tumor - something that has been suggested and in the back of my mind since all this began.

During the workup, she asked what I was doing for heartworm, fleas, etc. and I told her that I had been giving Bailey Sentinel since I have had her. She told me that it is a systemic pesticide and not only affects the liver if a dog is having problems, but could cause the problem. That brought me to tears because I have been working with 3 other vets (one a holistic vet) who all knew she was taking it. This vet suggested Heartgard instead.

So now, we begin a different regime of supplements and I am very encouraged. I will keep you posted.

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Possible answer to mystery blindness

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Christine! I totally understand your 'frustration'. Gads, these folks should know their Rx's. This would not be tolerated in human medicine!
Well, I am glad you have some answers and are on a path of relief.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/