Kitten with missing eye

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
Serenity

Kitten with missing eye

Post by Serenity »

Hello friends, I am new to this site and I need some advise. My cat Tyger became a dad and brought one of his kitten home last night, it was very cold outside so as you can read he is a good dad. I had no idea he has had kittens and I have no idea where's the mother. The one that came inside my apartment is beautiful but has one eye missing. She ate very well last night and was very thirsty, she drank milk, water and ate dry food. I think she most be 4 or 5 months old no more. Now, I am not in a good financial condition right now and I wish to keep her but I'm not sure I can afford medical care for her right now. Should I bring her to the local SPCA? Should I keep her? I want the best for her and it breaks my heart to see her playing with Tyger and Tyger helping her climb to my bed. I don't know what to do?

Serenity
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Kitten with missing eye

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Has the socket healed? Does it need medical treatment? A one eyed kitty is not a whole lot different than a two eyed kitty. If the eye area is healthy, you should not have overly expensive medicals beyond vaccs & spay, and exam? You can ask local SPCA for financial aidto see what they say.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Serenity

Post by Serenity »

She seems fairly healthy she is just scared, but when Tyger is around she plays with him, eats, and seems very happy. I will call on Monday the local SPCA and see what they can tell me. Thanks a lot, I think I am going to keep her she is just beautiful and I love cats:)
mydogfarted

Post by mydogfarted »

Is she sighted in the other eye? Our Linus was born without an eye, mostly blind in the other and acts like any of our other cats, with the occasional crash into a wall.
Serenity

Post by Serenity »

I am very sorry to inform you that Snowball was put to sleep. I cried like crazy and still hurting. I brought her to the local SPCA and they said they didn't have enough resourses $$$$$ so they would euthanise(not sure of the right spelling) her. I feel so guilty and sad. I thought she had a fair chance at the SPCA but I was so wrong.

Thanks for the support and information.

Serenity:(
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Tears, Serenity!

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I was chewed out by my VET TECH! for not destroying AllicksBlindPup because she was BLIND!
I am so very sorry. We need to educate the veterinary profession that our critters (sorry critters) can survive unbelievable events.
Events that kill them every day because of human ignorance.
Your baby had YOU, and for that you should take comfort. Love makes a HUGE effect on a kitty's life.
You gave your baby LOVE for the time that she had.
One bit of advice I would give you is never ever accept a death sentence until you have explored options.
And this is the BEST place on earth to explore options.
I am so very sorry. So sorry.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Serenity

Re: Tears, Serenity!

Post by Serenity »

I have to say that I am so sorprised because I thought that the whole reason the SPCAs are across the country was to HELP/CARE for animals no matter how sick they may be. I feel so discouraged and angry at them, at myself.....They only give a chance to those pets who are atractive to the sight but how many handicapped pets do you see at the local SPCAs......I am just wondering because I used to visit my local SPCA just to visit the animals there and play with them but now that I think of it I saw only one handicapped dog and I haven't seen another one ever since.

I think I won't feel better any time soon but I will talk to them and see what I can do to help raise money just for handicapped pets brought to the SPCAs, that way they have a fair chance to find love and care. Thanks so much for the support.

Many Blessings.