Newly blind and handicapped cat

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
Eilene

Newly blind and handicapped cat

Post by Eilene »

Hello,
I am new to this wonderful site and need some help. My wonderful cat Panda went into surgery this past Monday, and crashed on the table. I have a wonderful vet, who brought him back, but now we are dealing with issues. Panda is blind, and although he has shown mobility on his hind legs, he has not been able to raise himself on his front legs by himself. When we stand him, he will move his back legs but not his front.
We are hoping to bring him home today..my vet has taken him home each night to his house to watch him. I do not feel that he will be able to use a litter box and need suggestions please on how to help him. My vet said the other night he really messed himself when he went.
There is another cat, Bootsie at home and we are hoping that he will stimulate Panda to want to move more. We thinking of making a sling to help him in therapy for his legs.
Any suggestions to help my baby do well will be appreciated.
Thanks,
eilene
critters
Founding Member

Re: Newly blind and handicapped cat

Post by critters »

It's such a new brain injury it's entirely possible that he'll inprove or recover. Has he been taking steroids and a med for brain swelling, such as mannitol? Be sure to see the sticky info on the incontinence bb about expressing; expressing can help LOADS by keeping him empty until he can realize he has to go, know what he needs to do, get to a box, and do it. CarolC has also posted about a handicat litterbox she devised, which may help as his mobility improves.

And, yes, I think Panda will be MUCH happier at home with his family!!
Eilene

Re: Newly blind and handicapped cat

Post by Eilene »

Thank you so much for your reply. I am happy to say that Panda has regained full walking ability and is home. He is blind. We have not seen him use the liter box though we do put him in it, and although he is eating, we have not seen signs that he has urinated or poopied. We will call our vet again today. He is on med's.
We are happy to have him home, his brother Boots is not! We expect an adjustment period.
Thanks again,
eilene