Rory is gone

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
kristenv

Rory is gone

Post by kristenv »

Much of the ups and downs of the last year have been shared with you all, and I feel I need to share with you the passing of my other doxie Rory. I do not know what happened, but returned home today to find her gone curled up on her bed. She had been seen by the vet recently had a ton of labs. Her heart murmur had gotten more pronounced, but no other issues were noted. She took a walk and ate this morning as per our usual routine.
I am devastated and completing berating myself for not being home so that she would not have been alone.
Rory has always been my rock.....she was my heart during my divorce, and during everything with Samy. I never expected this as she just turned 9 in June.
Samy is terribly anxious, as he adored her. I can't seem to comfort him. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Kristen
Kristen, Samy, and Dottie
Jenner, Alex, BB
4 epsiodes of IVDD for Samy: Surgery x2 , crate rest x2 still going strong
Dottie no IVDD
Rory no IVDD (at the bridge)
SandyNY

Re: Rory is gone

Post by SandyNY »

My heart goes out to you and Sammy -So very sorry for this tragedy.
One thing I have learned from caring for ferals, and finding barely alive kittens.... some seem to "need" to be with someone ( or is the Need for us?) And some need to go alone.... We had one kitten who was a month or so old and i had to keep him at the office in a carrier. He was getting better - he had a good evening and i tucked him in. the next morning he was waiting for my dad; waiting at the door- he didn't want his bottle, he wanted to curl up and be held; and then he died...sometimes it seems as if they hang on, waiting for us to come along . Other times, maybe like this with Rory; Rory could not bear to see your heartache; could not bare to see your hurt; but had to go.....so she went on her terms ; as SHE needed to. Rory didn't want 'you to watch; she needed to go peacefully. we can give her that. We have to - she made the rules and we can't change that. just be glad she went peacefully.
I don't think her and Samy were seperated' so Samy has seen her and knows what is up... he is grieving. you may see him doing things -like going to where he would go if she was there -
I would let him, comfort him. I would let him pace, call him over and hug him ; if he is really bad and whiney you could try the pheramone plug in, but i don't know if that works. i don't know if this is good advice or not!! this is such a big void for both of you - maybe slowly try to fill the time with different habits? Teach Samy something totally different and new may help take his mind off it. Teach him to "Shake" for a totally new type of treat? Start a new ride to the park/ walk in the woods routine?
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Oh! I am so very sorry! Your baby ...
Do you have one of Rory's toys or bit of clothing or something that Samy could now have that has her scent?

I am so very sorry for your loss.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Oh, Kristen. I'm sorry, you're never prepared for something like that. But at least she was curled up on her bed. My mini did the same thing. I got up one morning and found her curled up in her blanket in her little sleeping position and she was gone. She died peacefully in her sleep, at least it was a good way to go. But you miss them none the less. I'm sorry for your loss.

:candle: