Getting Ready to say Goodbye

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Getting Ready to say Goodbye

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

It hurts so much. This little pup grabbed me from day one and I fought furiously to save him. And he succeeded, far more than I ever could. He had a GREAT run, and most of all, he found love, food, medical care and mostly the love. He is laying here, hardly able to move without excrutiating pain and no meds can help him.
Here's his BEFORE story:

http://dwb.beaufortgazette.com/features ... 8737c.html

Please visit his AFTER story at:
http://www2.beaufortgazette.com/story/24277

St.Jude has given me far more than I could ever give to him, but I can cut the pain short. I DON'T WANT TO! I've been sobbing about this for a couple of months, but the time is nigh, and Mark Robertson found a doc who will come to the house. Remember I could't find anyone to come for Possum? Well, that same doc, who sobbed with me over Possum and chances she never had agreed to come out to Saint Helena Island because Jude does not travel. He is terrified to travel, it always meant doc visits,pain, surgeries, pain and terror. So she is coming here, when I say. I told her I hoped he would make it to his anniversary of 1/12, but I don't think he will. His shot and shattered front leg bends hideously and his hips had awful bulges, which I believe are bones as they are quite hard. He hurts even laying down.

It's goin to be extremely rough, as I revisit his first days, and how hard I fought for him, hysterical at the thought of his dying. So I am very afraid. I revisit those emotions and they were and are unthinkable. I don't know why this little shot up bag of bones grabbed my heart so, but he has for almost 7 years.

Dear Jude, my dearest Jude. I love you , big boy, my big goofy boy, whose wag of a broken tail when I found you, stole my heart, and your look of love laying on a cold slab of steel in the hospital commanded me to save you.
I love you boy. I love you more than words could ever say.
Jude almost 7 years ago
Jude almost 7 years ago
Jude having a good day, smiling and wagging his broken tail
Jude having a good day, smiling and wagging his broken tail
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Getting Ready to say Goodbye

Post by Bobbie »

I'm so sorry, but you know when it is the right thing to do for him.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Christine

Post by Christine »

Karen...I just don't have the words to express to you what is in my heart. This brave and sweet boy got to experience Heaven here on earth with his very own guardian angel 24/7. Your dedication to him is what is making it so hard for you and easy for him to cross over and become whole and perfect in reality ....the way he has always been in your heart and your eyes. You are such a special human being and I am honored to know you. Sending you prayers of peace and comfort.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Karen,

Tears for you and your family as you help St. Jude in his transition. You were the best thing that happened in his life. He came to you damaged and dying, and you helped him to have a better life. He never would've had this life without you.

Peace to you as you help him make this transition.

Dianne
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

Oh no I am so sorry, you are going tru so much and are still able to help others here.
I know it's so hard, you want to huddle and cuddle and never let go, but we have to LET go and are left behind with memories.
One thing at least I personally find peace with is that they leave us behind, we are their caretakers and they would be helpless if we would leave before them.
You had time to say your goodbyes, as long as you are near their side they are content/ not afraid and at peace,
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Aw, I'm sorry! You've certainly had it rough lately. Poor boy. :cry:
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

manymany purrrrs for Jude and you, Karen.
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"

Thank you all so much. I smile when I look at him, Thumper. You can always tell when he's happy because you hear his broken tail thumping the floor. He has to hide behind furniture because he cannot stand a deafblind who wants to play, or accidently steps on him and he lashes out. And mama don't like no lashing out. So he hides to protect his broken body. He is still walking, difficultly, but walking. He still gets excited at meal time (everyone is on diet food and he is getting fuller because he is no longer moving and I am scrupulous about keeping his weight down, but HEY! He's dying! He can have anything he wants. Almost)
I am so afraid. And I HATE making funeral arrangemetns when my family is still alive. Had to do it with mom, Possum, and now Jude. I HATE digging a grave for a pup who lays in my LR witih a smile on his face. Until he has to move. Or go downstairs to potty, or be a dog. He housebroke himself, and he will holdl his business all day long until I get home. He is a wonder, and I wish Gabriel would learn that trick!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
luvmytripod

Post by luvmytripod »

Oh Karen, not again. :( You're an angel to these dogs, you know that? My heart breaks for you. But your beloved pups, no matter how wonderfully long or how excrutiatingly short a stay they might have with you, they all have had the best of love and life they could possibly ask for. What a wonderful gift you give them all. Many, many hugs.
BethWeeble's:o~mom

Post by BethWeeble's:o~mom »

oh Karen my heart is breaking for you. You have had so much happen lately.
You are the reason Jude survived. He loves you as you love him. Love can do remarkable things.... just look at my first Weeble! Everyone thought I was a fool taking him on. He had 2 very happy, spoiled years,much longer than ANYONE here thought he'd live.
You gave Jude (as you give all of your furkids) a good life! Just remember that you WILL be reunited with him again one day & how joyful you will be to see him whole & healthy!
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Dear Karen,
I am so sorry......I fell in love with his face.
He is so lucky to have had you, just the other day I was driving and saw a starving dog on the Indian reservation eatting road kill.
There are so many dogs no-one cares about at all.
Your love for animals and how you and alot of otheres take the time to care gives me a flicker of hope that there still are good people out there.
On thanksgiving I went to a mission where they feed the homeless, but I was there with people that passed out dog and cat food to feed our forgotten population.
All the animals that you have looked after in the last years are so lucky that they had you.
Your boy is going home he will be ok.

Happiness to a dog is what lies on the other side of the door.
-Charleton Ogburn
tessa

Post by tessa »

karen...i'm so sorry.
another piece of your heart gone.

St.Jude is going to the Bridge on Sunday.

As some of you know, in addition to his hips being crushed and his
front leg shattered by 22 cal. gunshot, his internal organs were tied
in knots by scar tissue and fibrous growth. He no longer wags his
beautiful tail and he is vomitting days worth of food. I belive the
scar tissue has regrown.
He was my first miracle, after the birth of my son. I fought so hard
for his survival and those as we all know are the ones whose deaths
hurt the most.
St.Jude will never hurt again,he will never have to try to be himself
against impossible odds. St.Jude has always delighted me, in every
aspect of his life.
He had 7 good years when doc said he 1) wouldn't survive, 2) walk, 3)
co-exist with other dogs. St.Jude made liars out of everyone.
Jude you are my life. I love you. You deserve peace and most of all
comfort from pain. No more pain, big boy. I love you. You are my life.
Andy will be at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for you, big boy. He will
be there to take care of you.
This hurts impossibly. OMG, it hurts so much. St.Jude is one for the record books, he truly is. His survival against impossible odds.I love him so much.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
Christine

Post by Christine »

We are right here with you, dear friend. I am so sorry you are having to give him this final and most unselfish gift. Your love gave him life; your love now gives him freedom from the physical pain that has returned. His life gave you purpose when you felt most lost. His mission here was fulfilled tenfold. You honor those you have lost every single day of your life in the most precious way...saving lives, teaching others to do the same with a cup that constantly overflows...we all thank you and Jude thanks you. Goodby, sweet Jude..you did a great job...we will miss you.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
nez

Post by nez »

Words are not enough for you,for the strength that you have to have to help your furbaby go through this.AS moms to these special furbabys we do this,allthough it breaks our hearts .
We all understand completely the pain you are going through,and I am sure everyone of us will be pushing tears away.
Deeply saddened for you and your family,may all your kisses last forever for this precious furbaby.
nez