Loss of 17+ years of love and companionship

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
Shooter

Loss of 17+ years of love and companionship

Post by Shooter »

I posted some time ago about my wonderful dog, Casey, and her spinal injury. See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6678

I nursed her back to being able to walk again, wag her tail, and go potty by herself. She managed another 2 1/2 years after her injury and really did quite well overall, passing by her 17th birthday this past Christmas. In the past week or so, she had a downturn in her health. I'm not real sure what started it, but she began not eating, and not drinking so much. Her weight began to fall, despite my attempts to feed her, and she vomited most intake. Yesterday afternoon, she started crying out in pain, and I knew I had to take her in. This dog has been with me through 2 wives, 5 different places to live, multiple cars, and numerous other events which often had me snuggling against her soft ears for the comfort of her always there companionship. My God, how I'll miss those ears. She was so sick, I had to let her go. So yesterday afternoon, the vet helped her peacefully along her way. A huge hole has opened in my heart, but i know it was time. Run free, sweet girl...I'll miss you so. :(

Her first day at my house in early 1992:

GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Loss of 17+ years of love and companionship

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Oh, I am so very sorry! More than a lifetime, you have shared a life that is so impossibly special. Casey has been there for you every step of your life, and comforted you, loved you, wept with you. That hole in your heart is huge and cannot be filled, but you will smile again someday, when you discover Casey's Legacy. 17 years. A lifetime. Be gentle with yourself in the coming times, and allow the tears to flow. You honor Casey with your tears and she hates leaving you, but you will see her again. And she will be whole and young and vibrant and she will glow and wiggle when she sees you again at the Bridge. You will have a grand reunion at the Rainbow Bridge. She was so lucky to have you. She was the lucky one.
I am so very sorry for your loss.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
nez

Post by nez »

RIP sweetie,is never enough time with our furbabies,I am so sorry of your loss, nez
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

My sincere condolances.
My dog was with me tru 2 tragedies and a surgery, what a blessing he was, he was with me for 14 years.
It's still very hard, I miss him every day, but we have to go on. I have pictures of him in my house so it feels he's kinda still here.
We are here for you, talk as much as you want.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
Christine

Post by Christine »

Dear David,

Sending sincere condolences in the loss of your precious girl. We are here for you.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Wow! How many dogs live to 17? She was such a big part of your life, and things will never be the same again, but that was one lucky dog! You know you gave her a good life, there is so much satisfaction in that. I'm sorry for your loss.
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

The way you wrote about your dog being there for 17 years really struck a cord with me.
I too have a dog that is 17 years old and yes when one looks back an thinks about what all went down in that time frame it is amazing.
I say I will be ok when my dogs time comes, but deep down I know it will hurt just the same.
I am so sorry for your loss.
Caroline
Shooter

Post by Shooter »

Thank you all for your kind posts.

Her loss has been compounded for me because just a few days after I took her to the vet, the person I had been seeing for several months and had really gotten serious about decided to break things off with me. In times past, Casey would lounge on my lap on the sofa, trying to help me feel better because she knew I was upset. Now, just a few days after she was gone, I was facing another personal crisis and didn't have my buddy to help me through. :(

I just got her ashes from the vet's office yesterday, so I still have her around....just not those ears I need right about now.

thank you all again.
Christine

Post by Christine »

I am so sorry you don't have her to help you through this. I know it is nowhere near the same, but we are here for you. Sending you prayers for peace and comfort in this very difficult time.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

When I am crushed by life, I run, don't walk, to the nearest animal shelter. I take a few dogs out to the pen in the back and I play with them. If there are puppies, I get my puppy fix. It is helpful to have fur to cry into. It really is.
I am so sorry.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

I went tru 2 tragedies 9 months apart and having my dog was helpful, I would lay next to him; it felt safe.
Unfortunately 11 months later he passed.
It's so hard.
Shooter I can highly recommend taking fish oil , this one I use:
www.meta-ehealth.com/store?cmd=viewproduct&subject=1065
I don't feel sad anymore I feel better when I use it, please try it I know how you can feel, I've been there....
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy