So This Is It... :(

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
Adelaide

So This Is It... :(

Post by Adelaide »

I was away for two weeks from home on a teaching trip for uni, and I came home to be told that our three legged toy poodle, 14 years old, has hurt another leg, and that there's nothing that the vet can do about it. He ripped a whole lot of tendons when he slipped getting out of his basket on Wednesday. They waited until I got home so that I could say goodbye. Right now he's on various opiates, and he's quite cheery, which makes it worse somehow, because it feels like we're getting rid of him when he's healthy. But apparently he'll be in a lot of pain and he can't be on the drugs for long, certainly not long enough to heal the leg, and that if he had four legs it could heal, but now the only option for him is constant drugs, and he won't heal his leg because he'll be walking on it, just without pain. :(

He's on my lap right now, giving me a cuddle. We've been feeding him all his favourite foods- he had his favourite soup last night, biscuits etc, all sorts of things he's not supposed to have. We gave him twisties today, and he's having scones for lunch, and icecream for dessert.
What sucks even more is that I feel like I can't properly be upset about this, because I've got four major assignments due by Friday that we have one week to do them in because they're based on our trip. One of those is due tomorrow. I don't think that this will be a good enough excuse for not having stuff done. :(
I'm really really going to miss him.

I've been too afraid to ask my parents what we're going to do with 'him' afterwards, especially with Oscar hearing. I know that's silly and that he can't understand, but yeah...

I also hate that my Dad has to go in with him while it's done- I don't want him to see it either, he's going to be all upset... but I sure can't handle doing it , and we don't want him to die alone and scared at the Vet.

He's had so many operations in his life... desexing, knee reconstructions, bladder stones, kidney stones, tail amputated, lumps cut off, leg amputated, another kidney stone, etc. He's had a very good run and we've given him the best chances that we can. He's spoilt silly. We thought he wouldn't survive the three legs thing but that happened years ago! He also has suspected lung cancer.

He's the best little dog ever. He's super intelligent, friendly, cuddly, smells great all the time, has adventures yet also is very attached to us...
:(

I hate having him sitting here on my lap, knowing that soon I won't have him t here anymore ever.
www.notebookinhand.com - forum for writers, artists, and other creative people
Adelaide

Re: So This Is It... :(

Post by Adelaide »

He's just been taken off to the vet.
www.notebookinhand.com - forum for writers, artists, and other creative people
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Adelaide,

So very, very sorry that you came home from your trip to deal with this sadness. Fourteen years is a long time to have a poodle. He had the very best care from you and his long life with you was so good. :candle:

Take care of yourself.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

very sorry you came home to such horrible news :(
he has had a very good long life with your family, it may not help to think of that now but it is important to remember.

We all have to deal with the outside world's demands, whether or not we want to. exams, work, whatever, soemtimes have to be delt with and met head on even though our heart is breaking.
Its OK to stave off greiving so you can get your exams behind you, it doesn't mean you don't care it just means tehre are some things that need to be taken care of. When exams are done, you can grieve as you need to.

many purrrgles

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
tessa

Post by tessa »

i'm so sorry.
*tears*