Goodbye Sweet Sierra

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
achadamaia

Goodbye Sweet Sierra

Post by achadamaia »

I am a fairly new member of this board. I had just introduced myself about 3 weeks ago and told you about my amputee, Sierra.

Sierra was diagnosed with a slow moving form of cancer 3 years ago. Her back leg was amputated because of it. We found out a couple of months later that she had severe arthritis in her hip.

Sierra was a fighter though. Once her meds were right, she did not let arthritis or 3 legs get her down. She took her walks, begged for food, used her 3 legs to win sympathy from people to get tummy rubs, and just enjoyed life. Every morning no matter what she was eager to start the day and get her breakfast.

A few months ago, she began having trouble with constipation. It made getting around on her back leg difficult. In May, I found out that she was getting a free wheelchair thanks to Kathy Barton's class and the Handicapped Pets Foundation. She took to her chair easily. For a month, she was able to be a regular dog, sniffing out her front yard, chasing cats away, and so forth. She was doing really well and even got a good check up at the Vets in June.

But last Thursday she suddenly became very ill. Within 3 hours she died in the living room with me at her side.

I know she had a very good, long life. She would have been 14 in September. But it is so very hard. She was the best companion anyone could ever want. A sweet dog who was great with children and who just wanted a head scratch and sunny spot to lay in. I miss her so much.

I had started a blog to share her wheelchair stories. I've added a tribute page to that blog if anyone would like to see my sweet ol' Lab:
http://simplepleasures.chroniclife.com/ ... et-sierra/
bbaugh

Re: Goodbye Sweet Sierra

Post by bbaugh »

Sorry for your loss. Just know your Sierra is no longer in pain.
achadamaia

Post by achadamaia »

Thank you, bbaugh. I miss her so much, but I know that she is in a better place now. It's hard to lose such a loyal friend.
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Sierra had such a good, loving home with you. She was a lucky dog to have found you.

So very sorry that she couldn't be with you longer. Whatever the time, it never seems long enough. Take care of yourself.

Dianne
nez

Post by nez »

sierra was beautiful ,,rip sweetie,you had the best mom and a wonderfull life,way too short with our furbabies,thank you for the tribute ,it was so from the heart,she was loved ,i am so sorry for your loss,,nez
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm sorry for your loss. What a GREAT webpage!!