Our Beloved Auggie

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
Paul Coover

Our Beloved Auggie

Post by Paul Coover »

Has passed away today. He was at least 14.

Auggie with James

His passing was not a surprise. Unfortunately he had been showing his age the last several weeks, and he bacame much weaker the last couple of days. Today he lost the ability to move, so it was just a matter of time.

AUGGIE'S STORY
I was contacted by a rescue friend regarding a dachshund in need of rescue here in Maine over 3 years ago. I learned that he was running out of time in the shelter that he was in, so I contacted the Kennebec Valley Humane Society.

I went down to Augusta to pick up this little dog that was named Dagwood by the staff at the shelter. I had very little information except that he was heartworm positive and has lyme disease. So, I knew that we were going to have a road to recovery after I picked him up.

When I arrived I found a very small, very shy little wire haired weinerdog. He is 11 years old, and the way they know that is rather interesting. He was microchipped by a breeder in Alabama in August of 1995 as a puppy, but he was never registered by an owner. He was found and picked up by animal control as a stray, walking the streets of Augusta, Maine.

I immediately took him to our vet to have him examined. The vet told me that with his age, the heartworm treatment could very well kill him. Well, I was not going to be discouraged! I asked them to perform some x-rays to tell me how bad his infestation was. The x-rays showed that his infestation was not that bad, and the vet is confident that he will be able to survive the process of killing the nasty parasites and live out the last days of his life in peace.

How did he get the name Auggie? Well, I picked him up on the last day of August, and he was found in Augusta, so the name just came to me while driving back home with him next to me on the passenger's seat. I said,"Hello, Auggie!" and he just looked at me. So, that name stuck!

Auggie became used to life here with the other 8 weinerdogs, but at first it was difficult. He was always very shy, but he got better every day.

He passed away this afternoon as the sun was setting. He always loved the warm sunshine, and he got to enjoy it today. His best buddy Riley sat by his side all day on the big bed.

Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Our Beloved Auggie

Post by Bobbie »

I'm so sorry, Paul, but you gave him wonderful golden years.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Christine

Post by Christine »

I remember when you adopted him and knew how lucky he was to join your family. I am so sorry he is gone..you gave him a lifetime of love.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

I am sorry for your loss ,but know he was loved, he did not die unloved or alone ,he had family. That is what counts. He was loved.
Last edited by Friend2Dogs on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Lord, help me be the kind of person that my dogs think I am. "
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Beautiful beautiful boy. He was so very lucky to have you. He was the luckiest pup.

My deepest sympathies to you and your family.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Paul,

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :candle:

Dianne
Last edited by Dianne on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Aww, what a nice little photo story! I'm sorry for your loss. :cry:
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

my sincere condolences, you made his last years so much well worth living.
you are an angel for that :angel:
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

I am so sorry about Auggie.

I bet you he lived his whole life in those last three years and it was the best life any dog could have.
tessa

Post by tessa »

thanks for sharing auggie's story.
he sure was a looker, eh?
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

what a beatiful story
what a lucky pup Auggie was to have found you
I know you will miss him deeply.
*purrrrrrrrrs*

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Jane Scott

Post by Jane Scott »

I am so sorry for your family's loss Paul. Auggie was well loved to be sure. Actually you & he were a bit of an inspiration to me, when our Harley (doxie) went down in May 06.
Jane :candle:
Harley the "Monkey-boy"
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

What a sweet, sweet boy. He was so adorable. I'm so glad he had you to live his life out with. I can't help but cry when I look at his pictures. He reminds me of my stray - "old man" dachsy, Rufus - that I adopted last year. He's got that "character look" about him also, with a snaggle tooth to boot. Thank you for sharing Auggie's story. I'm going to light a candle for him. :candle:
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"
"Sometimes..When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

Words I live by from "Velveteen Rabbit"