3 months after we put Sassy down we lose Serenity

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
mahaffc

Re: 3 months after we put Sassy down we lose Serenity

Post by mahaffc »

Les wrote:Sassy's "sister" Serenity, our other "special needs" cat with the brain tumor, passed around 5:20 this morning. She had just had a 2 week period where she was very lively and acting very spry, which we are thankful for, but my wife worked with a woman that died from a brain tumor who had a similiar "good spell" right before she died, and my wife kept saying "I hope this isn't the calm before the storm". But she passed so peacefully in Deb's arms, with no seizures or anything and very gently like she was. She was our little "greeter girl"-she always welcomed our new adoptees and washed them and made them feel welcome. The other night she even went over to the 2 carriers that held 2 of the outside cats that got adopted and was looking at them and being friendly with them. She lived 1 1/2 years after being diagnosed with a brain tumor, and we thank God that we had such a sweet, lovable cat with a great personality like she did. She's playing with her "sister" Sassy now I'm sure...

God Bless you little Serenity (renny-girl). We will always love you... :angel:

For sassy and serenity, my heartfelt sympathies on your losses. Lve and blessings, Cynthia
"When I dare to be powerful--to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid."
--Audre Lorde
Les

Post by Les »

mahaffc wrote:
Les wrote:Sassy's "sister" Serenity, our other "special needs" cat with the brain tumor, passed around 5:20 this morning. She had just had a 2 week period where she was very lively and acting very spry, which we are thankful for, but my wife worked with a woman that died from a brain tumor who had a similiar "good spell" right before she died, and my wife kept saying "I hope this isn't the calm before the storm". But she passed so peacefully in Deb's arms, with no seizures or anything and very gently like she was. She was our little "greeter girl"-she always welcomed our new adoptees and washed them and made them feel welcome. The other night she even went over to the 2 carriers that held 2 of the outside cats that got adopted and was looking at them and being friendly with them. She lived 1 1/2 years after being diagnosed with a brain tumor, and we thank God that we had such a sweet, lovable cat with a great personality like she did. She's playing with her "sister" Sassy now I'm sure...

God Bless you little Serenity (renny-girl). We will always love you... :angel:

For sassy and serenity, my heartfelt sympathies on your losses. Lve and blessings, Cynthia

Thank you Cynthia for your kind thoughts; they were both sweet little girls.

Now we are trying to calm down our latest little girl, Sugar. She was spayed about 3 weeks ago or so, and the hormones are still a little wacky. But she has a slight "mean streak" in her where she charges at 2 of our boys, for whatever reason. They are very sweet with her, and we don't want them to be uneasy. She plays with our youngest and littlest guy, Slim, but is mean to two others. We are using Feliway spray that is supposed to calm her and the others down. I think that with more time, training and love she'll be better; we don't know if she was a true stray or once lived in a home-but we are all new to her.

We joke that instead of Sugar we should call her "Sweet and sour" lol... :lol:
mahaffc

Post by mahaffc »

or maybe "Baby Spice"!:). I'm sure if anyone can do it, you can! Blessings! Cynthia
"When I dare to be powerful--to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid."
--Audre Lorde
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Hi Les,

Still sad today from Mr. Kitty's passing yesterday. Bittersweet sad. He was 20 years old. What a life! I posted a thread about him a little earlier.

Anyway, I wanted to share something I just tried out for pets that get aggressive with each other. Actually, mine involves cats and dogs, not against each other, but cat to cat, dog to dog. Sometimes my dachsy and chowhauhau act like they hate each other. In fact, I ordered CD's from Cesar Milan to help in that department (which is definitely helping). He makes us realize that a lot of times the aggression stems from fear. Well, I'm having the same thing with Trooper and the other kitties. I think they're afraid of him because he "moves funny". And since he can't use his back legs very well he comes on too strong with his front legs and claws. Unfortunately, the Dog Whisperer advice doesn't apply to the cats.

BUT...I found and ordered a CD for calming pets off of a pet website and IT'S WORKING! It's just beautiful classical music, no words, with different instruments...flute, cello, violin, etc. I put the CD on and all the little ones, cats and dogs alike, relax and take naps. It's wild. Probably any classical music will work, but if you're interested in the one I found, I'll post the URL. I think it's okay if I do that. It was created by the guy that does the Baby Einstein series for kids. The CD is specific about dogs, but it works real well on my cats.

http://www.petproductadvisor.com/store/ ... t-dog.aspx

It even calmed me and made me want to take a nap.
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"
"Sometimes..When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

Words I live by from "Velveteen Rabbit"
Les

Post by Les »

Thanks Pam for that advice; Sugar is getting better with the boys, except for with Sebastian whom she has "issues" with for whatever reason. He is very friendly and was/is the one that always sensed when the other girls weren't well and would hang out with them, and he did that with her but she seems possibly afraid of him? He is BIG and puffy and furry, so maybe she percieves him as a threat? We break it up when we're home, and hopefully with time they'll both realize that "we're all on the same team" here!

Sabrina, our outside calico that escaped from the spaying/ neutering woman last October had kittens! She is in one of the dog igloos and is safe-unfortunately one of the kittens is dead; either stillborn or was sick, so I'll remove it and bury it tonight after work. We are told to wait 3 weeks and then they'll take the kittens and put them in a trap, and she hopefully will go in so that we can get her "fixed" and take care of the kittens.

EDIT: That one may NOT be dead-unless she moved it, when I got home I saw 4 kittens and they all are moving, so maybe it was just "stunned" and she got it back with her? I hope so. Deb has been home for about 20 minutes now and TWICE in that time has said "they're ALL coming in..." they're great cats!!!

Anyone need a boarder to live with them? I cut firewood and wash dishes and cut grass and take out the garbage and recycling.... :)

Oh boy.... :shock: :D
Christine

Post by Christine »

You two could have your own reality show on Animal Planet! I love hearing your "tails"... :wub:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
sdrakkan

Post by sdrakkan »

Troopersmommy - Suggestion for a book to find that helps interpret our canine companions. I picked it up as part of my animal behavior training and LOVE what I have learned. It's by Barbara Handelman. Another is by Turid Rugaas called On Talking with Our Dogs - Calming Signals. My household isn't exactly an easy one to deal with and both have helped create a better environment. Fear is a HUGE thing that often people won't even look at in confrontations...and often the outcome is more nasty. I'm not a huge can of Cesar since too many use his Dominance-Submission model for basic issues (And have no idea about dog behavior in the least) and I have to undo a very pissed off dog, but some things he has out do help. Glad to see that it seems to be working.

http://www.amazon.com/Canine-Behavior-P ... 0976511827
http://www.amazon.com/Talking-Terms-Dog ... 1929242360
http://sabrieldrakkan.deviantart.com/
http://sdrakkan.webs.com/index.htm
4 Ball Pythons, 1 Cornsnake, 3 Boas, 3 Tarantulas, 1 Quaker Parrot, 2 Tuxedo Cats, and 21 darling rescue Rats.
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Thanks sdrakkan for the info. I will look at anything that will help. My little chowhuahua (that I now realize is probably a "pomhuahua" after seeing a friend's little Pomeranian) is still very scared, but getting a little better. After I post this I'll look up the sites you recommended.

Les, I'm hoping that your little kitten is not dead. I had one that was stunned and I revived her because the mom abandoned her and 2 siblings. Rerun, Keebler and Fuzzy. Only Fuzzy (my true little soul mate) is still alive after 15 years. I know how Deb feels. I took those 3 in when they were 4 days (Rerun) to 1 week old, incubated them, used a lot of pediolyte, kitten milk, and woke up every hour for feedings during the first week. That's why Fuzzy is sooooo special. He pretty much thinks of me as his mama. He's a cat with a dog personality. Absolutely adorable. Even as an old man, he looks like a cuddly kitten, and never sleeps without his stuffed Elephant (as big as he is). I'll have to find that picture of him carrying "Miss Elly" to share with you. And I would've never known him if I hadn't taken them in. My 2nd husband loved animals, but like you and John, cringed at the thought of more coming inside. You poor men! You are indeed a very special group that will definitely be Rewarded one day. :angel: :trophy:

And Les...lol...my husband has put out the same "ad" several times. Again I say...you poor guys! It's the "mother" in us ladies that just has to have them all. Maybe you guys can get a place somewhere in between our home states that you can escape to from time to time. An animal-free zone for desensitizing "zoo keeper husbands". Hahaha :shock:
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"

troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

sdrakkan, just a quick note to thank you again. I went to the amazon site you referred to and already downloaded to my kindle. Excellent information, and I even found other books on multi-dog households, etc. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. I actually like it better than the Cesar Milan method.
:thankyou:

sdrakkan

Post by sdrakkan »

While I train mostly basic obedience and AKC Good Citizen, the hard cases are the ones that really get me going. I always want to help, and ya'll deserve some after helping me as much as you did. Anything to help out our fur kids.
And Les...lol...my husband has put out the same "ad" several times. Again I say...you poor guys! It's the "mother" in us ladies that just has to have them all. Maybe you guys can get a place somewhere in between our home states that you can escape to from time to time. An animal-free zone for desensitizing "zoo keeper husbands". Hahaha
I can't believe how tolerant my boyfriend is of all I do. He already wants to get me a house so I can do more. Newborn kitten raising is a specialty of mine and my male cat Stanley loves kittens. I took in a third snake a few days ago and I'm helping to find a home for a dog that has HUGE issues. I won't take him...I cannot give him the attention and work through all his problems right now. The couple he belongs to shouldn't have gotten him in the first place and now at 11 months old he has almost every bad habit you can think of and his potty training is gone due to the father-in-law hitting the dog for scratching the door to ask to go out. Now they have a special needs newborn and have decided to ditch him. It makes me so angry...no dog deserves this.
http://sabrieldrakkan.deviantart.com/
http://sdrakkan.webs.com/index.htm
4 Ball Pythons, 1 Cornsnake, 3 Boas, 3 Tarantulas, 1 Quaker Parrot, 2 Tuxedo Cats, and 21 darling rescue Rats.
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

Les,
Now my Serenity is in trouble! Sorry to bring up a sad subject... I don't know if it is too late to help her, but if anyone reading this could read my posts and give me ANY ADVICE before it IS too late! I would be so grateful!! The main explanation in under the "Senior Pets"Forum.

Thank You!

Karen