3 months after we put Sassy down we lose Serenity

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
Les

3 months after we put Sassy down we lose Serenity

Post by Les »

Sassy's "sister" Serenity, our other "special needs" cat with the brain tumor, passed around 5:20 this morning. She had just had a 2 week period where she was very lively and acting very spry, which we are thankful for, but my wife worked with a woman that died from a brain tumor who had a similiar "good spell" right before she died, and my wife kept saying "I hope this isn't the calm before the storm". But she passed so peacefully in Deb's arms, with no seizures or anything and very gently like she was. She was our little "greeter girl"-she always welcomed our new adoptees and washed them and made them feel welcome. The other night she even went over to the 2 carriers that held 2 of the outside cats that got adopted and was looking at them and being friendly with them. She lived 1 1/2 years after being diagnosed with a brain tumor, and we thank God that we had such a sweet, lovable cat with a great personality like she did. She's playing with her "sister" Sassy now I'm sure...

God Bless you little Serenity (renny-girl). We will always love you... :angel:
Dianne

Re: 3 months after we put Sassy down we lose Serenity

Post by Dianne »

Les,

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :candle:
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Oh, Les, I am so very sorry. My vet told me too, years ago, about the calm before the storm. You and your bride gave Serenity such a wonderful life, and the end is the most important part. It is what they carry with them. I am so very sorry.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

awwwwwww another sweet soul in heaven... :angel:
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
Christine

Post by Christine »

Awww.....Les.....it is so much harder for us than it is for them. Serenity is with her sister now, what beautiful lives you gave them in such a short time - you made up for all the hard things they went through.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Les

Post by Les »

Thank you all for the kind, comforting words. It is very difficult losing her-she was SO gentle and lovable, she was everybody's friend, cat or human. But we are grateful that she went fairly easily, and that we didn't have to take her to the vet and have to make that decision. She was an angel, and you don't replace an animal very easily. We got such a nice sympathy card from the vet that helped us discover the brain tumor 1 1/2 years ago; he knew how much we loved her, and said "I'm sure that not a moment went by that she didn't know that she was loved". I thought that was a beautiful saying. And my wife summed it up well also-"she never drew any attention onto herself, but you always knew that she was around". She's still around in spirit, and we'll see her and Sassy again someday at the bridge...now we are focusing on the remaining family-Simon, who feels it somewhat, Sebastian who feels it a lot, Snickers who senses that she is gone, and the "littlest Schoenberger" Slim who is too young to understand. And Deb has had her eye on "Silver" outside, so while we don't want to rush things, we will probably be going through another "adoption" soon. Life goes on, and death is part of life, but she will remain in our hearts forever.

Thanks again,

Les, Deb and the 4 "S's"
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Dear Les & Deb, I've been away from this forum because, believe it or not, my 'little family" has grown again to the point that I don't have much free time any more. I'm so very sorry to hear about Serenity. I do know that she is healthy and happy now. Another friend on this forum just lost another one of her babies, so there's much sadness in my heart tonight. I hope that soon Silver will be part of your "S" family..... an angel knows when it's time to leave so to make room for another.
I lit a candle in memory of Serenity. To find it at the candle site, I initialed the group SS for Serenity & Sassy.

Your friend Pam
P.s.Trooper is doing well & now has a little girlfriend Coe
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"
"Sometimes..When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

Words I live by from "Velveteen Rabbit"
Les

Post by Les »

Thank you Troopersmommy...we were saddened to see her go, as she was such a sweet, gentle cat. But she lived her life out in relative comfort just like Sassy did, brain tumor and all. The 4 boys are getting used to her absence, and we are still trying to get Silver and some of the outside cats in.

Last week, the woman that had trapped them months ago came up with a trap because we still have to get Sabrina, the female cat that escaped from her when she trapped them and get her spayed. But as soon as they heard her voice and saw her, they scattered and only come back on occassion now. I felt SO BAD that that happened; this Winter has been so tough on them physically but more so mentally as we can tell that they are tired of it and are acting somewhat depressed. We want to get them and bring them in, one at a time. I hope that they trust us again..

I'm glad to hear that Trooper is doing well and you are taking care of others as well-God Bless you for it...

Les
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Hi Les,
So sorry to hear about the problems catching Sabrina. I don't know if it will help, but I had that same problem a few years ago, so I went online and followed one lady's suggestion and it worked. Course, you may have already tried this.

She told me to leave the have-a-heart trap out, not set, just open, with food in it. Use something really smelly so they have a hard time resisting it. Don't place it where they normally eat though. It needs to be on the other side, or far enough away that they don't feel threatened by it. As they eventually eat the food, keep filling the bowl. They'll become comfortable with it. It may take a while, but once they are okay with it again, then it can be set. Then she said to let out whoever gets trapped so they see that they won't get hurt and reset it again, unless you get who you want to catch the first time.

I used this method to catch kitties at an office I used to work at because the dentist next door was threatening to call the pound. I talked her into giving me some time, and was able to catch all 5 kitties over a 2 to 3 month period. I know it's a lot of work, but if nothing else works it is an option. Good luck! Oh, and I also took a small cloth and rubbed it against their faces (if they let you pet them or get near them) and you rub the cloth on the trap, for ownership and recognition. It helps speed it up a little.

Pam (Troopersmommy)
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"

Les

Post by Les »

Thanks Pam-that's great advice! We had the trap on the porch where it was when they got trapped, and they seemed to remember that and be "wigged out" by it; putting it somewhere else is a good idea-thanks! That way they can avoid it if they feel threatened by it, but still eat where they normally do.

I felt so bad that they got scared and ran like that; the woman that trapped them said "you're being too hard on yourself-they are around, you just don't see them" which is true, but they are still acting skiddish, even with us. Silver is the only one that stays on a regular basis now-Deb wants to get him very badly, and show him what a good life he can have inside. We're working on it...

If it's meant to be, it will be. :thankyou:
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Hi Les,

I know what you mean. If it's meant to be, it will be.

"Que Sera, Sera...Whatever will be, will be" is basically what I live by. Anytime a non-animal person asks me why I do what I do, and how could I possibly continue rescuing animals if I don't know what's going to happen with them, whether they'll live or die, where will they stay, what about the cost, etc., etc., etc.,...I respond with the above.

Works for me, as I know it does for y'all. Good luck! I know in my heart it won't be long before Deb has her Silver. :wub:

I'll keep checking back to see your progress. Time to hit the sack. :offtobed: I'm exhausted. My husband's sick, :sick:
so that means not only taking care of him, but also double duty taking care of all our babies by myself. That's like working a second full time job. Whew! Glad he's only got a bug.

Les

Post by Les »

Hi Troopersmommy!

I hope that your hubby feels better soon-you have your hands full!

All 4 cats have come back, and come and go at varying rates. They are not as skittish as before, but they are still somewhat wary of us-somewhat. The one guy that is with them that isn't truly "related" to them, Simba, roams the most-but he did before. I don't quite know if he would want to be an indoor cat, honestly. But we are working on the others-Silver, Skipper and of course the female Sabrina. I talked to the woman that trapped them months ago, and she said "if she does have babies she'll have them at your place because there's food there, and we can get her to go into the trap because she'll go after her babies". And like you said, whatever may be will be; if we can get her before she gets pregnant, great. If she has babies, we'll deal with it. I can't stress myself, Deb and all of the cats out trying to get her right this minute, you know. It'll happen when it's meant to happen. We'll keep working on them all.

How is Trooper and his little girlfriend Coe doing? I hope all are well...

Les
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Hi Les,

Everyone here is doing well. Trooper & Coe are doing well. As of last Friday Trooper is no longer feral. I was able to get a pll down him for tape worms. I'm also happy to report that although he still isn't standing, his back right leg seems fully functional. Now he drags himself up on his front legs & pushes with his back right foot, bending his leg at the knee and pushing off with his foot. As hard as it is to believe, THIS REALLY SEEMS TO BE A HEALING HOUSE.. Absolutely amazes me.

All others are doing well now that warmer weather is upon us. I'm getting ready to do my yearly remodel of all animal pens, quarters. Have to add more runs especially with Melvin. He's really starting to look like a Mastiff/Shar-Pei mix. He's growing very fast. Put on 10+ lbs in 1 wk while growing 3-4 inches taller. I'll post another photo.

Hope all your "S" cats inside & out are doing well. I read an article by a Dr. Christiane Northrup (specializes in womens medicine, etc., that said loving something unconditionally, like a rescued animal, who loves us back the same way, has been shown to actually erase or reverse cell damage or irregularities like precancer cells. All your love physically causes your heart to swell because of the surge of blood flow to the heart, or shakra & in turn strenghthens the immune system which can kill the killer cells. In that case we are all going to live very long lives.

Pam, troopersmommy

Les

Post by Les »

I'm glad to hear that Trooper is doing well! And all of the other animals, too. If it's a healing house can I bring this beat-up body over for a spell? Being 49 and trying to run around coaching 10, 11 and 12 year olds soccer is killing me LOL! But I wouldn't trade it for anything. And I hope that article that woman wrote is true; yes, we will live long if that's the case!

The inside S's are doing well; the outside ones are okay but still a little stand-offish at times. Other times very affection and friendly; they are fearful yet of what we might do to them!

I MIGHT be getting another stray girl in; people at work told me the other day "we hear a cat crying but don't see it". Well, today we found it and I coaxed her (I think) out and fed her and gave her water with the help of another coworker, and basically made "friends" with her. We were able to pet her, as she trusted us enough. I picked her up twice-she somewhat tolerated it but squirmed away. She has claws in all four paws, and was crying in the parking lot, the same scenario as Sebastian whom I got at work in the same area. Ironically, she is gray and looks pretty similiar to a mixture of Sassy and Silver (outside), and one woman said "take her home-call Deb" to which I said "I don't have to call Deb 'cause she'd say bring her home", but when I went out to go home she wasn't around. But I'm sure that she'll be back, since she knows that there is food and water and shelter under the porch that has sheltered SO MANY strays over the years. They put signs up saying that a stray cat was found and who to call, but I doubt anyone will claim her; she probably was dropped off or kicked out like so many others. If she comes back and stays around, I'll get her and either take her to be adopted or we'll keep her since she is friendly and looks like the other two I mentioned-we need another little girl in the house....

Glad all are well; I'll keep you posted....
Les

Post by Les »

I got her! I made a "deal" with the Big Guy upstairs :angel: and basically asked that that stray would be safe and taken care of, and if she needed a good home that all she has to do is return. Well, I had been putting food out at work, and talking to basically no one (but myself) at the porch where she was, but no response-I thought that she was gone, moved on. The food was always gone, but it could've been anything eating it. Yesterday, I tried again, and when I was talking at the porch I thought that I heard a very faint cry, so I kept talking, and heard such a sad, pitiful cry-I said "is that my kitty?" and she came out! I pointed up at the sky and said "a deal's a deal", got her and took her to our vet who checked her out and gave her the okay but thinks that she is about 3 weeks pregnant! Deb and I discussed it, and the vet said "they're not little kittens-they're not even formed yet" so after "struggling" a little with that we are going to have her spayed. He said "there are so many cats in this world now, what kind of a life would they have and besides you have your hands full now" but assured us that at that age (3 weeks) they aren't even formed. She has an eye infection so we are giving her drops, and keeping her in the cage in the cellar but will bring her upstairs tonight in the cage so she can see the boys (oh boy). We've been through this before, but she is SO SWEET and we needed another little girl so we got Sugar, although Deb might change the name because she uses "Sugar" as a pet name for all of the boys! But a deal is a deal; she came back and she came home. The vet said "you're a sweet guy and you little girl will have a great life" which she sure will!