Bad Week Here

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
LisainCAN

Bad Week Here

Post by LisainCAN »

On Sunday morning, we found our rescue bunny had passed. We had had her for only six days but at least she died warm and loved. RIP Jasmine.

I had saved her from being sent for meat. The guy who was trying to sell her in his agricultural feed shop (and who should be charged for cruelty) did not bother to seek veterinary help for her when she was attacked by a cat in his shop two months ago and either a) her jaw had been broken and allowed to set like that or b) she had an abscess from the bite that went into the bone and left a huge calcified mass. It was hard for my vet to tell from the X-ray. She had been improving and I was hopeful, but even with her daily weigh-ins her body condition was poor and I think she was just to far gone by the time I got her.

On Sunday evening, we lost Homer, our foster kitten. He died at the vet from cardiac arrest.

On Wednesday, Elsie died. She was our 12+ year old Shih Tzu we had taken in December 23, 2009. She had been found as a stray and was obviously dumped.

We brought her to the vet Wednesday morning for her dental. All of her teeth were falling out and when the vet tried, very gently, to extract a tooth, Elsie's jaw broke. Because she had noted a large black mass on the bottom of Elsie's mouth and under her tongue, the vet put two and two together and took an X-ray. What she discovered is that this mass had encompassed almost her entire jawbone and that there really was no bone left. I asked her to try to wire the jaw shut but as she went in, the jaw broke again. At this point, we were looking at amputating the whole lower jaw and it just would not have been a good life for Elsie. My son and I rushed over and while she was still under sedation, we ended her pain.

When we analyzed the whole picture after, the vet explained that black masses like that indicate melanoma. She also suspected that this spot in her mouth is not even where the cancer had started but where it had spread. It all kind of made sense since she had multiple lumps on her skin and it was likely metastatic cancer (though I had been hopeful they were just cysts). Even her body condition kind of hinted, in hindsight, at how sick she was: her coat was thin and her skin was flaky even though she was on fish oil supplements. The only good news is that the meds we had been giving her for her heart murmur worked well because her heart was steady and strong.

Elsie slept with my son and I every night. She was my shadow. I feel like she had been here for a long time. Even though she was only 14 pounds, there is a huge void here and a lot of sadness.
tessa

Re: Bad Week Here

Post by tessa »

lisa...i am sorry. that is an awful lot to go thru in such a short time.
please be good to yourself in the coming days and weeks.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Oh, Lisa, this is too stunning to take in! Sometime when we are dealt disasters of the heart all at once, it enables us to get through them. If you are reeling from this and then that happens, and another happens, you are so sucker punched you don't really realize what all is happening all at once and it helps you to get through the initial days.

The one thing that completely grabs my heart, Lisa, is they ALL died with a FAMILY who loves them, cared for them, moved the world to make things better for them. They all died loved, Lisa. The alternatives could have been extreme heartbreakers for them to not have known love and a family. But you saved them in time. Your bunny story had my hair standing on end. To know she died a good death is the greatest comfort in the world. She was safe, she was loved, she was cared for.

You brought them home to have a family. THEY WERE WAITIN FOR THAT ALL THEIR LIVES! They waited their entire lives for you, Lisa. And they FOUND you. That is the miracle. They FOUND you in time!

No critter (sorry critters) ever deserved a passing in love and care more than your babies. You gave them what they so desperately wanted all their lives. You gave them happiness and care and most of all, love.

My heart goes out to you. We're right here.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

I agree 100% with Karen here.
these animals came into your life to be loved and pass on in peace.
they are together again and you are left behind with this loss.
I wish you strength.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

You had so much hope for each one, I'm so sorry. They each got a glimpse of what life could be when someone cares. That is a lot of loss. Lisa, 4 of the baby ducks survived in spite of the weather. I saw them swimming on the lake 2 days ago.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Oh Lisa, you know that we share your loss and marvel at the size of your heart. No matter what is thrown at you, your one single-minded focus is making the lives of those around you better.....and you have.....and, this I know for sure...you always will. I also know that the love and care you gave to these precious souls wiped away a lifetime of misery for them. They crossed over to the Bridge bathed in that love, knowing that they are waiting for their family. Take care, sweet friend.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Les

Post by Les »

Deb and I were so sorry and sad to read your story, but like the others here have said you took these little animals in and gave them a "glimpse" of happiness and hope and love, and for that they will be forever thankful. And where they are now they are feeling that love every minute of every day, and they look back and say that living with you was like Heaven on Earth because you cared...

When you are ready, give that love and kindness to another animal. God Bless you... :angel:
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

Thank you everyone for your kind words and your votes of confidence. I never thought as myself as anything special, though I know theoretically it takes a tough person to take in the seniors and those who may not have long to live, but I am amazed and grateful that you had such nice things to say about little ole me.

The real hero in all this is my (almost) three-year old son. He has weathered all of this with grace and his sense of compassion is keen. We went to the SPCA on Friday so that I could show him that while we treasure the ones we had and lost, there are always those that we need to help. The woman who works there who gave us Elsie is looking for another special dog for us to help - one that rescues cannot take for whatever reason. My son and I also looked at the bunnies but they were all ... healthy ... and safe and will be adopted. A special bunny will find us or we will go looking for it ... maybe in that awful ag shop since I heard he is getting rid of whatever bunnies are left and sending them to slaughter. He won't sell them anymore so I can justify going in and saving one.

It never ends and we get so frustrated because we feel like we are barely making a dent, but then I read all of your posts and I look in the eye(s) of my creatures, and I am reassured.
Jane Scott

Post by Jane Scott »

Lisa, I am sorry for your losses - I know those words really don't hold alot of meaning coming from a perfect stranger but, I feel sometimes we do know each other here on HP and I hope these words can help.
With respect.
Jane
Harley the "Monkey-boy"
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

many many many bendy purrrrrrrrs, Lisa.
it is hard enough to lose one, but losing several like that really take a heavy toll.
they all left with love and that is what is important
still, we are left behind to feel the emptiness.
*bendy snuggles up under your chin and purrrs his bestest for you*
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"