Mr. Kitty is sleeping under heavenly skies now...

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
troopersmommy

Mr. Kitty is sleeping under heavenly skies now...

Post by troopersmommy »

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED" Anonymous
Well, my sweet old Mr. Kitty, left the boundaries of our earth yesterday afternoon and went on ahead to that special place where he'll be waiting for me along with all my other little angels. He gave us 20 wonderful years - longer than any other I've had the honor to know and love. He was such a gentleman. He would always step aside and wait for all the other kitties to get their food first before he would begin to eat. I'm so glad I let him go naturally, at home with all the love surrounding him. We're not always fortunate that way, but this time God took charge.

Yesterday my husband's mother went in for what was supposed to be a non-survivable, but mandatory, surgery. She had to have her right leg amputated above the knee because gangrene had set in. She is 87, bedridden, weighs less than 80 lbs. and already had her left leg amputated above the thigh a year ago. Not diabetic, but poor circulation and infection that wouldn't respond to antibiotics. We were all told to say our goodbyes. The doctors said she couldn't possibly survive, but had no other options. She was in so much pain - physically and emotionally. How awful to look at your only leg and see the gangrene slowly creep upward. Well, she amazingly survived. And I know why. I truly believe that during the 2 hours I was at the hospital, Mr. Kitty made a deal with the Man "upstairs" and asked to take her place. Animals have that extra sense to know what's best, even if we don't.

Before I left for the hospital, (and every night for the last week) as he lay sleeping quietly on a big pillow, the other kitties nestled in around him as if to guard and protect him from the "dark". Normally my babies have preferred to find a dark place to "take their leave", but not this boy. I kept the light on every night in their room, and in the morning he would wake up when I opened the door, slowly stand up and rub his leg against my leg...until yesterday. He didn't stand up in the morning, but raised his head and gave me that sweet smile, with a little sparkle in his eyes as if to say, "Bye Mom, I'll be waiting for you with all the others." It's so special how they let us know these things. I leaned down, pet his head, kissed his nose and said "Okay, old man. Give my love to all my angel-babies and be sure to keep my spot warm until I get there one day."And there they were when I returned two hours later after the surgery was over. Still watching over him until "momma" came home to bury him in the garden beneath her bedroom window.

I have beautiful classical music playing...a special CD I ordered specifically to calm animals during stressful times. I guess I am more animal than human, because it's working on me too. It's raining and thundering outside, has been for the last two days. God must be shedding tears also.
My Mr. Kitty - photo taken about 10+ years ago.  He always preferred this one.
My Mr. Kitty - photo taken about 10+ years ago. He always preferred this one.
Attachments
Mr. Kitty's last photograph taken about a week ago.  Looks good for a 20 yr old cat.
Mr. Kitty's last photograph taken about a week ago. Looks good for a 20 yr old cat.
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"
"Sometimes..When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

Words I live by from "Velveteen Rabbit"
MissWhiskers

Re: Mr. Kitty is sleeping under heavenly skies now...

Post by MissWhiskers »

Dear Pam,

I am sorry for your loss! He was an amazing cat!
He certainly deserves to be in Heaven now! Perhaps he is in charge as he is probably one of the MOST Senior cats there! I do hope he will befriend My Guys - Whiskers, Omarr and Goober.
I think I have said it before, but I think you have such a healthy attitude about this sort of thing... You are very graceful, dear friend!! :angel:

Your Buddy,
Karen
Christine

Post by Christine »

I am glad he got to go on his own terms, the only comfort we can have when we lose one of our little ones. Twenty years is a wonderful long time time. Prayers for your mother-in-law. Take care.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Ahhh, I have tears running down my face. What strikes me is that he had YOU for 20 years, not just you having the joy of him. And your mom-in-law survived. That is stunning. Yes, the thunder and the rain are the tears and the grief. They honor your boy. My very deepest sympathies. Sleep in peace, Mr. Kitty, mommy's right there, just inside the window ...
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Thank you my dearest friend Karen. I appreciate your sweet words and know in my heart that my Mr. Kitty is as close to your boys as we are. Isn't it wonderful to think that they are holding places for us...so that one day we'll all be united in friendship? :hearts:

Thank you Christine and GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily for your kind words. It's amazing...the serenity I feel now knowing that physically, he is just an arm's reach away under my window. Of course he'll always be in my heart and mind because he shared about a third of my life. Wow, that's amazing. I haven't even shared that much time with a husband. (Lol)

Well, I go to sleep peacefully with the comforting knowledge that my kitty is directly under God's care now. I know I took good care of him...just as he took care of me, with his calming mannerism and gentle nature.

Sleep well, Mr. Kitty. I'll see you in my dreams. :wub:
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"

Les

Post by Les »

Oh Pam, I just read your post and am both so sad but pleased that he went peacefully like Serenity did. He had a GREAT LIFE here thanks to you guys, and you will see him and hug and kiss him again one day. I'm sure that he's "chatting" about us to our Sassy and Serenity (and I'm sure that it's all good talk, too!). And prayers go out for your mother-in-law; it sounds like you have your hands full.

God Bless-hang in there,

Les, Deb, Simon ,Sebastian, Snickers, Slim and Sugar... :angel:
sdrakkan

Post by sdrakkan »

What a long wonderful life he led! Sorry to hear he left this earth, but he is now hanging out with all our fur-kids waiting for us to make our final journey.
http://sabrieldrakkan.deviantart.com/
http://sdrakkan.webs.com/index.htm
4 Ball Pythons, 1 Cornsnake, 3 Boas, 3 Tarantulas, 1 Quaker Parrot, 2 Tuxedo Cats, and 21 darling rescue Rats.
tessa

Post by tessa »

i am crying at your loss.
what a beautiful bittersweet story.
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

:thankyou:
How my life has changed since finding this incredible website forum. Even though my husband is always "there" for me to help with all our "little bears", he's not really good at handling the "sad" times. He kind of shuts down when it comes to that...too painful for him to talk about. So when it comes to the worrying, crying, talking, pacing, grieving...I felt somewhat alone... until I rescued Trooper, and then found all of you. :wub:

I feel so peaceful about my Mr. Kitty. He's running with all of those who passed before, mine and all of yours, and I can hardly wait to see him again one day...standing with the rest of my sweet angels. The flowers are blooming now in the clay pots I placed "on top of him". It's Fiesta time in San Antonio and so the oranges, reds, pinks, and blues look festive...perfect for taking a very long "siesta-catnap" under.

I don't get to spend as much time as I did before here, big changes at work - people let go - so now I'm having to work longer to train others. John's mom is doing okay, but having a difficult time with mentally accepting that both of her legs are gone. She's so ready to join her little ones (she has also rescued animals all her life - that's where John learned) but I guess it's not time yet. She's in a rehab but will be going home soon...

Melvin is still getting bigger, time to get neutered. Leo (my Shaggy dog) went to the groomer for his bi-annual shave. Tomorrow I'm going to enlarge my kitty area and move Coe in with the other kitties. We're making a larger opening between Troopers area and the main kitty rooms for better socializing, and I'm permanently dividing the kitty sun porch into 2 levels - upper half for kitty sunbathing, and the lower half will be the new "dog room" for Melvin, Spike, and Penny. Time certainly doesn't stand still, does it?