Goodbye Snowy.....

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
SnowyWhiteGSD

Goodbye Snowy.....

Post by SnowyWhiteGSD »

Yesterday we had to make the very difficult decision of letting Snowy go. Snowy has been having mobility issues since July, and when she faltered on Wednesday night I knew something was VERY wrong. She could no longer stand at all. My first thought was her spinal issues had worsened. But it was something more serious.

We took her to the emergency vet and they put her on pain management until the ortho surgeon could see her. It was the worst news. Osteosarcoma, cancer of the bones, her back leg (femur) broke because of the tumorous growths! The cancer had already spread to other parts of her body as well. We had no idea.

It wasn't any easy decision to make but even if we had her leg amputated (no hope for repair) her spinal issues and hip dysplaysia gave little hope for surviving more than a month, due to the widespread cancer. OMG.. how could we not know?

She was such a vibrant dog all her life, her spirit shined like a beacon in the night and it was difficult to watch that light go out of her eyes, but I was right there with her, holding her head in my hands as she crossed over. My heart may be breaking, but in my mind I know she is not GONE, just gone ahead.

We love you Snowy, we always will. There isn't anything we wouldn't have done for you, including giving you a peaceful end. God Speed my sweet girl!
Saving one dog may not change the world, but it WILL change the world for one dog!!
Christine

Re: Goodbye Snowy.....

Post by Christine »

Oh no, oh no....I am so sorry! That is such a mean disease. I have read other posts about the unexpected break and I cannot imagine how sad you feel right now...if you had known, it would not have happened. Your Snowy was loved and cared for far above and beyond. I remember your talking about how she would never let you know she was in pain. You and she have been so helpful and inspiring to so many people here..she leaves a beautiful legacy. Sending you prayers for peace in the loss of your sweet girl. We are here for you.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
janew

Post by janew »

I am so sorry...
jane
GSD Guy

Post by GSD Guy »

I am so sorry......
sdrakkan

Post by sdrakkan »

Oh no! I'm so sorry for your loss. Cancer has this bad habit of sneaking up on us without warning...it just isn't plain fair what it takes from us.
http://sabrieldrakkan.deviantart.com/
http://sdrakkan.webs.com/index.htm
4 Ball Pythons, 1 Cornsnake, 3 Boas, 3 Tarantulas, 1 Quaker Parrot, 2 Tuxedo Cats, and 21 darling rescue Rats.
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

My Heart is with you, I am so sorry for the physical loss of your precious Girl, may her Spirit still shine in the next part of her Future. Until you meet again, take care.
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.
SnowyWhiteGSD

Post by SnowyWhiteGSD »

I want to thank everyone for their compassion, and also to let you know that we never left Snowy alone, but I think her leg broke when I was trying to help her up! I am racked with guilt for not knowing what was going on, but I can't go there for long. She had a wonderful life with us, and her spirit is still all around me.

Just this morning a butterfly seemed to be following me around the garden. I would walk with Snowy every morning so she could do her business supporting her all the way. This beautiful butterfly seemed to know where I was going next and then landed in front of my feet!! I truly believe it was Snowy telling me that she was OK!

:angel:
Saving one dog may not change the world, but it WILL change the world for one dog!!
Christine

Post by Christine »

I truly believe that butterfly was your message from Snowy. I had a similar feeling the day after Bailey passed when I went into a thrift store and saw a box of tiny ceramic angels. I put my hand into the full box and pulled one out only to see that written in gold on the dress was the name Bailey. I got that exact feeling that she was telling me "I'm okaye, mom..."
?/1999 - 10/25/08
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

I am so truly sorry for your loss. My heart dog, Sara, who is an almost 12-yr old GSD-x with DM, does not have long so I acutely feel everyone's loss on this board.

You could not have known. You knew the inside of your dog in a way that mattered the most ... her heart. The cancer was something you could not see.

Lisa.
Christine

Post by Christine »

You could not have known. You knew the inside of your dog in a way that mattered the most ... her heart. The cancer was something you could not see.
Truer and more beautiful words were never spoken.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
SnowyWhiteGSD

Post by SnowyWhiteGSD »

My thanks to everyone for their kindness and compassion. My heart just hurts right now, as Snowy was my constant companion. She helped me 'raise' my other dogs and was always so sweet. She was a true shepherd in every way.

I know that (hopefully soon) the pain of losing her will be replaced with all the AMAZING memories of her, but right now I can't seem to think about her without crying.

Tomorrow I pick up her cremains, and that will help me feel better, knowing she is back HOME with me!

Snowy changed my life, and I will never forget her.

:angel: