I've lost Mini, but thank you for the help

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
Christine

Re: I've lost Mini, but thank you for the help

Post by Christine »

I have been searching my soul to find the right words to express how sorry I am that you have lost this special little soul too. I could not even try to respond to your post at first. I totally agree with Jane that you must not blame yourself - you only gave him love, your intention would never have been to cause him harm. Powers greater than we are choose the destiny for us and our animals. This little one came into your life to show you that as broken as your heart is over the loss of Mini, the love that cared for him is still there and open to help another for however long they choose to stay.

Please know that if and when the time comes, another animal will choose you and you will know the time is right and you have little choice in the matter. I understand how you feel about wanting to back away from volunteering for right now and I respect you so much for giving of your time to those homeless animals.

I buried my grief over losing Bailey by trying to help network animals who need rescue, but, much as I hate to admit this...and I never have...in writing....I cannot visit the shelters and do what they so desperately need...I just cannot look in their eyes, touch them and walk out without them. Thank God for those of you who can - I admire you so much and thank you.

Please take care of yourself and take comfort in the fact that you gave this little one a lifetime of love and care in a very short time and you did NOTHING wrong.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
janew

Re: I've lost Mini, but thank you for the help

Post by janew »

You know, you are correct, it isn't 'fair' , that is not being 'childish'...he was a handsome, strong, young cat with a wonderful personality, it should NOT have happened, & it was 'unfair' that he was ever in a shelter to begin with... if you had not have adopted him, he would either, still be in a cage, maybe 'put to sleep' without ever being special or loved, or adopted to a home that may not have been as fun & loving as your's was.
I think it is 'NOT FAIR' they generally do not out live us as most 'children' out live their 'parents'...for those of us that feel they are family not just pets. But that is the way it is...as much as I would like to change it. It is a fact of life, so if I no longer want to bear their loss & it is sooo hard on me, -X- amount of critters in my life time, that I can afford to give a loving, responsible home to, with the best vet care, food, attention & LOVE, may never get a 'chance' & die never knowing a kind hand, that is the real 'not fair' to me...Many years ago, I came to the conclusion, if humans do not open their hearts & homes to animals & bear their loss, animals have no quality of life & die never knowing a kindness...It is a 'pet peeve' of mine, to hear 'I can go through that again.' I feel like that everytime, I lose a furred one, I can not imagine loving something more or hurting as much when they go...but if I do not open my heart & home again, I know -X-amount of critters in my life time never get a chance...think about it, I hope you come to the same conclusion I have...it is 'worth it' to them & us, they add so much joy & love to our life, no matter the time they have with us.
Like Christine, & agree whole heartedly with her response to this post, I admire your shelter work, thank you for it, I can not do it any more, I did my stint & no longer have the strength to leave behind those hoping for a home,though it is right thing to do...but I do fostering, where I take care of an animal till it finds a responsible home, some of my fosters have become mine...
Please leave the blame behind, you did nothing wrong, you know now, you need a secure outdoor spot if you meet another kitty needing a home...that needs 'outdoor' time to be happy.
Hope you gift another with a loving, responsible home when you can.
jane