had to put our Sasha to sleep today

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
vitDsunshine

had to put our Sasha to sleep today

Post by vitDsunshine »

We were doing all we could. We were even going to fit him for a dog wheelchair today. They had one on Craig's list.
On October 30, his legs gave out on him and he became paralyzed. For awhile he was not too bad but his health started to decline in the last few days. He slowly stopped eating regularly and he wet all over himself and had no control over that or his bowels. The vet said with all the problems he had he would not be happy and besides that he had a fever and his breathing was shallow. No feeling in his legs. She said this was all due to age. He was 12. Her recommendation was euthanasia and we could tell this was the best choice though NOT what we wanted to have to face.

I could not stay and watch the procedure. It was too much for me, but my dad stayed with him until the end. I've been in tears off and on. I had kind of prepared myself for something like this but was hopeful he would live longer. I have to say though that his quality of life was not good. When I say quality I mean-comfortable, satisfying. That was not in his case.

He was depressed. So the doctor and nurse were kind about it. They gave us the option of taking him home afterwards or cremating him. I asked if we would keep the ashes or what else to do with them. She said they have people who can put the ashes out at dog parks. I thought that was best. So that is what I chose. At least in some way, he will not be alone. Sounds silly but it sounds like a nice place to be.

I'm going to be sad for awhile. Sometimes just a thought about something of him and I start crying. He wasn't extremely affectionate but he loved in his own way. He had funny quirks and didn't like to get in the dog house even when it rained!

I will miss him.

Sasha was euthanized this morning November 9, 2010 due to complications from paralysis that began on October 30.
This picture was taken about a week before. You would not susspect anything wrong. He declined in the last week.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/shann ... .jpg[/img]
shannonm75, on Flickr [/url]
marilynb

Re: had to put our Sasha to sleep today

Post by marilynb »

I am so sorry about Sasha,It is so hard to have to make that decision. Know that he she is at the rainbow bridge playing and having a good time. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Marilyn and Wally
Christine

Post by Christine »

I am very sorry. Sasha is beautiful.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
theismom

Post by theismom »

I am so sorry for your loss. You did the right thing for Sasha. Most importantly, Sasha was loved for 12 long beautiful years. My heart aches for you. I hope you have good support from your friends and family.
vitDsunshine

Post by vitDsunshine »

Thanks, I have had good support from friends. They too have pets. In fact I stayed over a couple days with my friends because they wanted to help me and get my mind away from thinking so much about it. The first day I had to have to myself. I was aching in grief that first night at home and then I was able to go to the friends' and spend some time with them and play with their dogs. But I had to come home a couple days later. I have three more dogs to help tend at home. Two are getting a little older now too and one is a pup about ten months-looks like "Toto" with longer legs.
theismom

Post by theismom »

Nice to hear you have such close friends to help you through this. I am here for you as well.
Dayna

Post by Dayna »

I am so sorry Christine. I had to put my own companion down lastnight. My story has similar points. I was there during the procedure. It was quite awful. Death is cruel regardless of it's speed or if it's painful or painless. I hope you find comfort in your other babies. I am certain you will.
I am here for you in whatever way I can be.
In Friendship,
Dayna
Dayna

Post by Dayna »

I am sorry for your loss Christine. I just saw that you are not the poster :oops:
xo
vitDsunshine

Post by vitDsunshine »

That was me. It's okay. I still think about it a lot. I'm sorry you had to put your dog down too Dayna. I know exactly how you feel. At least I know it's hard. It gets a little easier but it doesn't totally go away.
Dayna

Post by Dayna »

Thanks for your words. I posted about Nola in "I lost what cannot be replaced". There is a photo of Nola there.