RIP my sweet Casey, please help me someone :-(

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
Caseyandminnie

RIP my sweet Casey, please help me someone :-(

Post by Caseyandminnie »

Hi I am new here and need some help coming to terms with the loss of my beloved 16 year old kitty. It's only been five days since the nightmare of his traumatic death.

Casey was attacked by two Pitt bulls. Didn't make it to vet before he died. His lower body was paralyzed, with no movement of his tail or legs/hips. his breathing was extremely rapid, mouth wide open, tongue out. Hissed at me when I first approached to help him but then breathing slowed as I pet his head and talked softly to him, he tried to move but couldn't. Within a couple minutes 10-15 longest of my life he started doing cheyne-stokes like breathing and his eyes seemed glazed and he no longer moved at all between gasps for air. :-( He had a huge gash in his side about 3 inches wide by 5 inches long but looked like only a couple layers of skin and couldnt see insides Fr what I could tell so I wasn't sure about that being the cause and couldn't see it until after he passed. He was shaken vigorously by the dogs as like you see a puppy with a tug of war rope whic is what they did to my poor baby. :( before I scared them into dropping him and running away. I Was also trying to protect my five yr old daughter who witnessed this horrid moment.

I feel like I failed him, could I have safe him? It would have taken me twenty minutes to get to vet and i was scared to move him and the dogs were still across the street and i was afraid to leave him for fear theyd come back to him. I had to wait for someone to get my daughter inside too. I was shaking uncontrollably and in shock. He only goes out to potty and was backed into a corner on pur front porch by these dogs. His eyes were glazed over from the moment u approached but I thought he knew I was there for a few minutes until the end when it was obvious he was either in shock or near unconsciousness even though eyes remained open. Do you think he Suffered much or would adrenaline and shock take over?? Please help.

I think he probably had head trauma, massive internal injuries and he was definitely paralyzed. He went fairly quick but I will never be able to feel like I couldn't have done more. We love him so much and we are all devastated and hope and pray he had so much adrenyline and shock that he didn't feel much pain. It was awful to see him suffer and be so defeated trying to get up.

Omg I wish I could make this hurt stop. I wis I could change things.

Thanks for reading if you got this far. Sorry to introduce myself this way on this board but many don't get the love ou have for your pet and the enormous grief.

Thank you for listening. I didn't want to get graphic but I need some advice
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: RIP my sweet Casey, please help me someone :-(

Post by Bobbie »

It was not your fault, you had to protect your daughter, and it sounds as if time would have made no difference. The fault belongs to the owner of the attacking dogs, and I hope you reported this to the police. if not, report it now, it may not help your kitty but may make animal control quicker to act if there have been multiple complaints which may save someone else's cat or dog or even child.

Google pet loss and you will find some hotlines and people to talk to- some are free, some are not, so check before you call. But that is a good way to actually be able to talk to someone who will understand your feelings. It must have been horrifying as well as heart breaking, and to have that on top of the sadness of loss is very hard to accept.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Caseyandminnie

Post by Caseyandminnie »

Bobbie wrote:It was not your fault, you had to protect your daughter, and it sounds as if time would have made no difference. The fault belongs to the owner of the attacking dogs, and I hope you reported this to the police. if not, report it now, it may not help your kitty but may make animal control quicker to act if there have been multiple complaints which may save someone else's cat or dog or even child.

Google pet loss and you will find some hotlines and people to talk to- some are free, some are not, so check before you call. But that is a good way to actually be able to talk to someone who will understand your feelings. It must have been horrifying as well as heart breaking, and to have that on top of the sadness of loss is very hard to accept.
Thank you for responding. Yes it was horrifying. I did call 911 and they responded ASAP. Apparently they ran a few blocks up and killed another pet of someones and them proceeded to start attacking each other I'm the persons front yard. They were taken in to animal control and nobody claimed them so they were euthanized yesterday. The animal control guy said this is a sadly common thing with Pitt bulls In fact a little girl my daughters age was killed a few months back by her neighbors two pitts. Sad.
cricketsmom

Post by cricketsmom »

I'm so sorry for the loss of your little buddy :cry: And I'm sorry for the way it happened. It's hard enough to lose your best friend from natural causes, much less something like this. I agree there was nothing you could have done... He was probably injured too seriously already the instant they grabbed him. If he did feel any pain, it wasn't long. And he doesn't feel any pain now. He's a spry young cat again at the rainbow bridge, maybe even hanging out with a few of my own buddies that have passed on. If so, they are all in good company :angel:
vet tech and pet mom
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I agree, he was probably already injured by the time you got there. Getting him to the vet within 20 minutes probably would not have saved him and they would have recommended putting him down. I am impressed that you scared them off of him. We have the same problem where I live.
Caseyandminnie

Post by Caseyandminnie »

cricketsmom wrote:I'm so sorry for the loss of your little buddy :cry: And I'm sorry for the way it happened. It's hard enough to lose your best friend from natural causes, much less something like this. I agree there was nothing you could have done... He was probably injured too seriously already the instant they grabbed him. If he did feel any pain, it wasn't long. And he doesn't feel any pain now. He's a spry young cat again at the rainbow bridge, maybe even hanging out with a few of my own buddies that have passed on. If so, they are all in good company :angel:
Thank you so much for your kind and reassuring words. I'm still going from shock and disbelief to intense grief. I really hope he didn't feel much pain. He tried so hard to get up and was able to drag himself a few inches until the very end. Poor little guy. I just hope he knows we all love him and tried so hard to save him.
Caseyandminnie

Post by Caseyandminnie »

CarolC wrote:I agree, he was probably already injured by the time you got there. Getting him to the vet within 20 minutes probably would not have saved him and they would have recommended putting him down. I am impressed that you scared them off of him. We have the same problem where I live.
Thank you. I first heard it and looked out my window, tried to bang on window to startle them and they didn't flinch then I ran out my front door throwing my daughters toys and they already had him in their mouth fighting over him and the bigger dog had him and shook him so violently that I'm certain that is when most of the damage to his spine was done and possibly a head trauma. I ran down after them to the side of the house and grabbed the hose and sprayed them while screaming at them and they ran thankfully leaving Casey. Certainly his death would have been faster had I let them take him but I didn't know how bad he was and my first instinct was to fight for them. I feel horrible that I didn't stay by his side but I had to make sure my daughter was in the house and grab my cell to call 911. Then I grabbed a towel to cover him and pet his head softly and talked to him. I had to step away again to tell the animal control officer what happened and describe the dogs. I then went back to him to comfort him and he was still breathing but very labored and fast, he tried to move but couldn't move his legs or tail, just his head and barely his front paws. I thought he had internal bleeding because blood was coming from his mouth but the next day I found one of his teeth on my front porch so it seems he tried to defend himself by biting the dog I think unless they smacked his head so hard it came out. Ugggg, why do I torcher myself trying to figure out what happened and why? I know I can't change anything and he was a 9 lb cat against two of the most vicious dogs there are? They are prey focused dogs even with good obedience training and they are known for their strong jaws. Why would I think I could do anything once they had him???
marilynb

Post by marilynb »

I am so sorry for your loss. You are a very brave woman. I can tell that you really loved your kitty, I am so sorry for your loss and the terrible way kitty died, I agree ther was nothing you could have done. Those dogs were vicious, your kitty did not have a chance, and no it was not your fault you did everything you could,and your kitty knew it.

so sorry,

Marilyn
Caseyandminnie

Post by Caseyandminnie »

marilynb wrote:I am so sorry for your loss. You are a very brave woman. I can tell that you really loved your kitty, I am so sorry for your loss and the terrible way kitty died, I agree ther was nothing you could have done. Those dogs were vicious, your kitty did not have a chance, and no it was not your fault you did everything you could,and your kitty knew it.

so sorry,

Marilyn
Thank you sp much. Means alot. I do love him very much.
Christine

Post by Christine »

It has taken me a full day to try to find the words to say how sorry I am that you lost your precious cat and in such a senseless way. You were so fearless in your efforts to protect your child and save Casey. You did exactly what you were meant to do and you saved your child's life. I believe in my heart that Casey was destined to save the lives of uncounted other pets and possibly children whom these dogs could have victimized.

If he could speak to your heart....and he will...he would tell you that you gave him a wonderful life here on earth and he had a very special job to do while he was here. He would tell you that he is safe, uninjured and happy , waiting for the day that he will be reunited with you once again. I know it is a much easier thing to say than to do, but remember all the sweet moments and happy times you shared and let them bring comfort to your heart. Please know that we are here for you.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Caseyandminnie

Post by Caseyandminnie »

Christine wrote:It has taken me a full day to try to find the words to say how sorry I am that you lost your precious cat and in such a senseless way. You were so fearless in your efforts to protect your child and save Casey. You did exactly what you were meant to do and you saved your child's life. I believe in my heart that Casey was destined to save the lives of uncounted other pets and possibly children whom these dogs could have victimized.

If he could speak to your heart....and he will...he would tell you that you gave him a wonderful life here on earth and he had a very special job to do while he was here. He would tell you that he is safe, uninjured and happy , waiting for the day that he will be reunited with you once again. I know it is a much easier thing to say than to do, but remember all the sweet moments and happy times you shared and let them bring comfort to your heart. Please know that we are here for you.
Thank you so much for your comforting and sweet words. I'm so grateful to have found this page with so many caring and understanding people. I am going to do exactly what you said and remember the beautiful kitty he is and the awesome life he had and the great companionship he gave.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your thoughtful words!
sdrakkan

Post by sdrakkan »

I'm so sorry that you had to lose your kitty this way. Nothing worse than losing a pet like that. You cannot say you failed him; the owners of those dogs is to blame. The damage they did was in all likelihood unrepairable. At 16 they really can't take the stress of even half of the injuries he sustained. Keeping him calm and comforted was all you could do.

Nothing makes me more upset than someone not taking proper precautions to contain their animals. My cat Midnight was attacked on my property by two Golden Retrievers. They had killed a cat the prior year and yet the owner had not seen fit to fix his fence. I sought charges and won. Not a battle I ever want to repeat again.

It takes awhile before the stabbing feeling of the initial loss fades. You cannot blame yourself. Fate is not predictable or kind.
http://sabrieldrakkan.deviantart.com/
http://sdrakkan.webs.com/index.htm
4 Ball Pythons, 1 Cornsnake, 3 Boas, 3 Tarantulas, 1 Quaker Parrot, 2 Tuxedo Cats, and 21 darling rescue Rats.