Could use some advice

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
janetz

Could use some advice

Post by janetz »

Our dog Mocha is scheduled to be put down tomorrow (I have been posting on her issues on the paralysis board).

I could use some advice on this though:
We have another dog, Jason, who has grown up with her. They have never spent any significant time apart for the last 9 years. Mocha has been at the vet's since Sunday and Jason, although not really distressed has been acting needy and quite. I was thinking about brining him to the vet to say goodbye tomorrow. What do you guys think? Is this a good idea? I could really use some input on this...
CarolC

Re: Could use some advice

Post by CarolC »

I've been thinking about this. I don't know what would be best to do, either. I think this is probably one of those things where you just have to keep it in the back of your mind and let your heart make the decision while you are busy with other things. It shows how loving you are to your dogs that you are thinking about the idea. Maybe it would help to try to picture it in detail. For example, is Mocha in a vet ICU cage? On the top row or bottom row? Is Mocha in the same cage every time you visit? What other dogs are next to Mocha, and will Jason be distracted by them? Is Jason small enough to hold in your arms? At the same time, I imagine the dog that is sick would really value a visit by the owner more than anything. Perhaps some reassuring words to Jason will do as much as anything, but I don't know.

I once found a dog that had been hit by a car and it was already gone. I went to the owner's house to tell him, and the other dog who I always saw in the yard with the dog that had passed away, was there. As I started telling the owner about his dog found by the road, I could see the other dog looking at me stricken, with a look in his eyes like he already knew his brother was gone, and I was only there confirming to the owner what this dog already knew. I don't know, but either way I believe you will make the best decision for your family.
:angel:
janetz

Post by janetz »

CarolC wrote:I've been thinking about this. I don't know what would be best to do, either. I think this is probably one of those things where you just have to keep it in the back of your mind and let your heart make the decision while you are busy with other things. It shows how loving you are to your dogs that you are thinking about the idea. Maybe it would help to try to picture it in detail. For example, is Mocha in a vet ICU cage? On the top row or bottom row? Is Mocha in the same cage every time you visit? What other dogs are next to Mocha, and will Jason be distracted by them? Is Jason small enough to hold in your arms? At the same time, I imagine the dog that is sick would really value a visit by the owner more than anything. Perhaps some reassuring words to Jason will do as much as anything, but I don't know.

I once found a dog that had been hit by a car and it was already gone. I went to the owner's house to tell him, and the other dog who I always saw in the yard with the dog that had passed away, was there. As I started telling the owner about his dog found by the road, I could see the other dog looking at me stricken, with a look in his eyes like he already knew his brother was gone, and I was only there confirming to the owner what this dog already knew. I don't know, but either way I believe you will make the best decision for your family.
:angel:
Thanks you, CarolC. I really appreciate the time you have put in to help me through this.

A mere 30 min or so after I posted the vet called me to let me know she passed away. I guess it went relatively fast. I had only left the vet's office about an hour earlier. I'm a bit sad my husband didn't get to say goodbye, but I guess it is for the best. She won't have to suffer anymore!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I'm sorry for your loss. You did everything that could be done. Sometimes it's just out of our hands...

:candle:
janetz

Post by janetz »

Thanks, CarolC!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm sorry for your loss. :cry:
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

In my experience, if one dog is sick, the others know it. I think if a dog were suddenly injured and died, I'd show the others, but I don't think they need to be told or shown if they knew the dog was sick. Mine have never acted confused when they had been around the other dog.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

when one of my cats passes here at home, i let the other cats come over and sniff.
i find if they do this that they don't go around later looking for them.
recently i had a little kitten pass away. when i set him down one of the cats who used to groom him came over, groomed and grroomed him and then just looked at me with the saddest expression.
i do think they understand that their friend is gone somehow.
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.