Our Sebastian left us tonight

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
Les

Our Sebastian left us tonight

Post by Les »

We lost our beloved Sebastian, a 14.5 year-old Chantilly tonight. When I got home, he gave one last meow as I saw that his left leg was caught in the mini blinds, and he was stuck there; we think he got one last bolt of adrenaline and climbed up the back of a chair and perhaps was trying to climb up the blinds, almost trying to escape his pain and fate. I took his leg out, and within seconds his little head tilted to the side, I held him and told him to "try to hold on", rushed him down to the vets but he was gone. He had a very bad time these last 3 weeks, in and out of vets, being severely constipated, having to stay overnight to get unblocked, then picked up an upper respiratory infection, wasn't eating or drinking anymore, we were syringe feeding him, and was just so very worn down and I guess his time on Earth was up. The vet said "there was probably something else going on, something no one could pick up on, maybe his heart or lungs, this just wasn't from these last three weeks", and I think he is right. I brought him home and broke the news to my wife, we cried, held him, kissed him, talked about the fun times that we had, how we did everything we could for him and none of us have any regrets, him included, how we rescued him and took in in off the streets of Allentown, he would've been dead many years ago, how we had 12 GREAT years with him, how we loved him and how the vet said "I think he made the decision for you, so you didn't have to put him down" and I believe that too.

We will FOREVER LOVE YOU "Sea bass", you were a great son and we will see you again someday!!! We love you Mr. Seebs!!!! :angel: :cry:
CarolC

Re: Our Sebastian left us tonight

Post by CarolC »

Oh, no...! I did not expect that. I was hoping he was doing better. It does sound like there must have been something else going on. At 14 1/2, he really was at his full lifespan for his breed so at least there is that small comfort. When they are so senior, it seems like any little thing can have such far-reaching effects and it can be one thing after another. He was fortunate to have a family that loved him so much and was so devoted to him. He was a very lucky cat. I'm very sorry for your loss.

:candle:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Aww, no, I'm sorry too. I wasn't expecting this either. I'm sorry for your loss. :cry:
Les

Post by Les »

Thank you both for your messages. It hit me-HARD-this morning, that he was literally and figuratively "hanging on" until I got home, because within 15 seconds after I freed him from the mini blinds he passed in my arms, almost like he was waiting for me to get home so he could pass in my arms, because he knew that he and I had been through so much with all the vet visits and all. It was like he was giving me one final act of love, saying "I don't want to die alone, I want to be with Pops", so I will hold on to that thought and memory and I was glad that I could hold him at the end.

As you know, no matter how many times you go through this, it still leaves you heartbroken; but the memories of the good times and love last forever.

Thanks again....
Christine

Post by Christine »

Les,

I just finished reading all that you and your wife and Sebastian have been through this last week with tears streaming down my face. I absolutely feel the sadness and pain you are feeling when you want them to feel better and back to the happiness before they became ill. You feel helpless and heartbroken. I always say no matter when they leave us, it is always too soon. Know that it was a gift from God that he passed in your arms feeling all the love you have for him. Know too that he is once again, whole, pain free and happy waiting at the Bridge for his family. Sending you both prayers and hugs for peace and comfort. :candle:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08