Lucky is at rest

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
Dianne

Lucky is at rest

Post by Dianne »

Some of you may remember how we struggled feeding Lucky, my kitty, in December-February, '06, when he had portions of his nose removed because of squamous cell carcinoma of the nose leather.

We were successful in maintaining his life until last night. This morning I discovered that he had quietly died at home.

I feel relieved that he was able to go to rest at home. He has a dreadful fear of people as he had once been feral. I couldn't terrify him by taking him to the vet's office to be PTS. His will to live was the strongest of any pet that we'd ever had. He continued to give headbonks and wanted petted until yesterday. Last night, I knew that he was ready to rest.

We found him in a Memphis public park nesting in the tall grass. He ate dead fish from the park lake. He loved canned mackeral.

Thank you for your support Carol, Karen, Barbara, and others. Your advice was priceless when I tried to get him to eat after the early surgery.

I am saddened by his loss, but relieved that he could go to the bridge at home. He was 15.

Rest in peace, Lucky.
Christine

Re: Lucky is at rest

Post by Christine »

Dear Dianne,

I have followed your story and have been touched by your posts of comfort to others. Lucky was just that...to have found a life with you as his mom. Sending you prayers for your loss. Take comfort in the knowlege that he was just where he wanted to be and secure with you and your family until he was taken gently to the Rainbow Bridge.

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Oh, Dianne, I am so glad it went well and he handled it in his own way. It's a gift. And I"m glad he was 15, I didn't realize that. You and your family can feel satisfied you did the best possible. Best wishes to you.
Pam (Riley's mom)

Post by Pam (Riley's mom) »

Dianne, I'm sorry to hear of your loss but happy for Lucky that he was able to go peacefully in a place he felt safe and loved. He had a wonderful life with you and was truly lucky. I send you wishes for peace and comfort knowing all is well with him.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Oh, (((Dianne!))) I am so sorry for your loss... Lucky was so lucky to have you in his life. So very lucky. How appropriate. He found you, Dianne. And with his face disintegrating, anyone else, would have thought the worst. You looked past his face, into his very soul. He cherished his 'special' time. That time when death is immiment, it is incredibly special, because we have an opportunity to show and say how much we love that special someone. That time was Lucky's gift. His gift to you and your biggest gift to him. Tears today, but Lucky, you will see him. Out of the corner of your eye, in the twilight hours, you will forget he is gone and see him and roll over and go back to sleep, thinking, oh, there's Lucky. It is when you wake up and assure yourself it was all a dream, that you have to stop and BELIEVE, Dianne, BELIEVE. That is your Lucky. Lucky Lucky Boy, who will live forever. He is our first passing here on the new board, Dianne, and he will forever be remembered... Let's think on a link to a virtual remembrance site...
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Thank you all for you lovely, comforting words. I have NOT cried as I knew how VERY ready he was to rest. Last night I knew that his death was imminent, and prepared for the morning.

In the last months, I've spent more time talking with him, feeding him a case of Science A/D, combing him, and ending our time together. I had several more months with him than I thought possible, and I felt a sense of closure when he died.

I truly feel that he is now at rest and was blessed to have this little black and gray tiger cat in my life. Sometimes blessings come in unusual ways.

Dianne
Barbara Boehmer

Post by Barbara Boehmer »

Dianne,

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did the best you could for him and he went as peacefully as one could hope.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm sorry for your loss, but what a long life he had, against all the odds!! :( Rest in peace, sweet Lucky.
BethT

Post by BethT »

Dianne,

I am so so sorry for the loss of Lucky but so glad that he went peacefully at home. My last two cats had cancer and died in emergency situations at the vet's office and they are memories that I wish I could forget. You did everything you could for Lucky and helped make his final days loving and comfortable.
Take care, Beth
Susan54

Post by Susan54 »

Dear Dianne,

Please know that my sympathy is with you at this time. It is so hard losing our babies but to know that they were in our care and had a chance is comforting.

I appreciate you following my story on Chloe. It has been a very rough week.

Maybe Lucky and Chloe are together... right now... at Rainbow Bridge!

Please know you did all you could and your Lucky was very Lucky to have you!

Susan