Roscoe in now pain-free.

For help and support with the passing of a pet. Sometimes we feel very alone. We're not alone.
C & R's mom

Roscoe in now pain-free.

Post by C & R's mom »

Roscoe went to sleep peacefully yesterday morning in the loving care of his family, vet and vet's assistants. http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=236383. For those of you who'd seen my posts asking how to know when and replied - thank you so much!
He hung on for another full month, but in addition to becoming increasingly frustrated with his inability to walk, he began to be more and more in pain. When the accupuncture obviously didn't work, it was almost like he knew it. He started eating much less, and was losing even more weight. For the last two weeks he became very restless, and began crying (it couldn't be called barking - it was more a cross between a whine and a howl and it would grow increasinlgy louder until he was attended to.) more and more. It became obvious when the usual answers didn't help (out, food, water, being held) that he was hurting. The "repositioning" relief lasted less and less time. He could only sleep or rest for an hour or two at a time. We'd be up 3 or 4 times a night just trying to get him comfortable. We couldn't keep denying it, so we took him up to see his vet. He agreed that it was the humane thing to do. He told us that Roscoe's mind and heart were still strong and willing, but his body wasn't cooperating. We will miss him so much.
We especially want to thank his vet, Dr. Akawi at Banfield's in PetSmart and his whole staff for all of their support - from the time we rescued him and he had so many problems through the year and a half of his good times and through these last few months, especially. They all knew him and loved him and were so good to us!!! They were especially supportive and comforting through the procedure yesterday morning. He will be remembered by so many.
Dianne

Re: Roscoe in now pain-free.

Post by Dianne »

Dear Roscoe's Mom,

You did the right thing. Giving Roscoe rest was a very painful decision, but one that he appeared to want.

Sympathy to you and your family.

Dianne
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know you did all you could for Roscoe.
My prayers are with you during this difficult time.
Hugs,
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I am sorry for your loss, but glad you were able to give him as much time as possible. He was a fortunate dog to have such a loving family. I hope you find comfort in knowing that you made his last days as good as you possibly could. Best wishes to you and your family.
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

You should be proud of how much you helped Roscoe. I know you did it in return for his unconditional love and you had it.

I'm so sorry for your loss,
Lisa.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

C&R's Mom, I am so very sorry for your loss!
Your baby will always be beautiful, and your joining this board has enhanced all of our lives...
I grieve for the hole in your family...
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/